Water cooled or air cooled TIG torch?

Hello All,

Is it worth the extra expense for a water cooled setup rather than air cooled for welding bicycle tubing given the duty cycle of the TIG welder? I have used power supply, and need to get a torch. New to TIG welding.

Thanks,

Luds

Reply to
Luds

heavy stuff and/or welding for hours. I have an air cooled torch on my Thermal Dynamics upto 250 amp TIG and have never lusted after a water cooled torch with its added maintenance problems.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

If you plan on doing aluminum frames, then a water cooled torch would be nice. Aluminum welding with AC makes the torch much hotter.

For most steel bike frame welds a 120 amp #2 style air cooled torch would be fine.

A CK100 would be good. I would also recommend a CK110, which is an inline TIG torch. You will find it makes fillet welds on tubing about 1/3 as hard.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--More useful would be a water cooled glove! Never seen one though..

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
Jerry J. Wass

Oh Sorry, CK Worldwide.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Had to laugh over the water cooled gloves! :-)

Yes, I am planning on Al tubing for the bicycle frames. Any recommendations on quick release fittings for the TIG setup so I can break it down after I am done using it without messing around with coolant? I saw the Miller Coolmate 3, and the Diamondback 250 water cooled setup at Miller. Any recommendations along these lines? I need to stay portable since I don't have much dedicated space for the setup. I'll search this site more too! Thanks for all the feedback!

Luds

Reply to
Luds

My main shop TIG has quick releaase fittings for the torch. I have 3 main torches. A CK230, and CK230M, and a Weldcraft 350 amp water cooled.

Western enterprises makes the quick release neutral gas fittings and I used their quick release oxygen fittings for my water lines. The power connector is a #2 tweco.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler