Petter M type 1/2HP 1938 water cooled

Hi all Petter M type men, My friend Dave has had the magneto overhauled and rewound,But it will not start with the handle. It will only start-up with a belt driving it from another engine. Can anyone suggest where the problem could be in starting,also the condenser was renewed. Thankyou, Pete in UK.

Reply to
Pete

Three initial questions: Does the magneto produce a good spark? Is the plug known to be good (ie it will run other engines)? and is the atomiser end set 1/16" from the piston and are all its small holes clear? regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Regardless of the age and beauty of the spark plug, my very first action on any recalcitrant two stroke would be to fit a NEW one! Not a better one, not a clean one, but a NEW one!

You might also try running it in the dark and looking for tell-tale spark tracking along the plug lead, cap and pick up brush holder.

That done, my next stop would be poor primary or secondary compression.

I take it that he had the magneto rebuilt because of this problem and is exasperated because doing so has not improved the starting?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn