Petter M 1.5

Hi Chaps,

I spent an interesting but not very fruitful morning trying to kick some life into my newly acquired 1.5 Hp Petter M:

Crank, crank - - - No Spark :(

Clean magneto points,

Crank, crank - - - No spark :(

Strip magneto - - - secondary open circuit :(

Swap magneto for known good item.

Spark! :)

Crank, crank - - - No Fuel :(

Strip mixer

Q. The books I have indicate that the bigger 'M''s have a cone type fuel collector, mine doesn't. Is this normal for the 1.5 HP? The atomiser on mine is just a block with a few holes in it.

Clean / rebuild mixer.

Crank, crank - - - Nothing :(

Crank, crank - - - Compression seems a bit feeble. :( :( :(

Whip head off.

Bore looks OK, not oversize, no wear ridge, not much piston movement. New Rings required?

Crank, crank - - - fuel getting in now :)

Reassemble.

Crank, crank - - - Nothing except a blister on thumb (the one that's kept out of the way when cranking - b*****ks) :(

Swift application of easy start - - - Nothing but smoke from exhaust :(

Check air valve clearances (desperation setting in) - - - OK but reset to

1/8".

Crank, crank - - - b****r all!!!! :(

Chucked a couple of squirts of oil down the plughole to gain some compression (and some more easy-start).

Crank, crank - - - more smoke from exhaust, otherwise b****r all :(

Fed up - - - Get coffee and go and do something else! :)

So .................

Is there something missing from my atomiser assembly?

and

To ask the question for the thousandth time, who is the best bet to supply piston rings?

and

Any other ideas?

Best regards but a slightly dejected,

Mark

Reply to
mark.howard10

Only the early ones have the cone type, approx pre-1919. A plain atomiser is correct for yours. There are three possibilities in order of likelihood: The atomiser is too far from the piston (reset to 1/16") it may have been broken off. half mine have been. The atomiser is blocked. Clear with brass wire - holes go right through the diagonals You have ball trouble. The ball in the elbow twixt carb and atomiser is not sealing hth Roland (who bought a nice Victory 5hp today :-)

Reply to
Roland Craven

Reply to
Roland Craven

Would the "victory" be yet another Petter

Mart> On further thoughts....Assumecarb is getting fuel??

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Might be :-)

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thanks Roland,

Fuel is getting through (now), I could see it being pulled into the bore when I took the head off and turned the engine over. I reset the atomiser to

1/16" from the piston so I guess the lack of compression and therefore the rings are the problem. I'll strip the thing down soon for a proper inspection.

Regards

Mark

mark.howard10

The normal CR is only 4.5;1 and they'll start with 3/10 of the cube root of BA. Also unless the rings/bore are totally shot the compression will rise with a run especially on load. I'd try a different plug first.... Just back with my tan from Yesterday's Farming which just seems to get better every year. John Manders happy as Gas-turbine APU absent :-) hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven