Petter M 1.5

Hi Chaps,
I spent an interesting but not very fruitful morning trying to kick some
life into my newly acquired 1.5 Hp Petter M:
Crank, crank - - - No Spark :(
Clean magneto points,
Crank, crank - - - No spark :(
Strip magneto - - - secondary open circuit :(
Swap magneto for known good item.
Spark! :)
Crank, crank - - - No Fuel :(
Strip mixer
Q. The books I have indicate that the bigger 'M''s have a cone type fuel
collector, mine doesn't. Is this normal for the 1.5 HP? The atomiser on mine
is just a block with a few holes in it.
Clean / rebuild mixer.
Crank, crank - - - Nothing :(
Crank, crank - - - Compression seems a bit feeble. :( :( :(
Whip head off.
Bore looks OK, not oversize, no wear ridge, not much piston movement. New
Rings required?
Crank, crank - - - fuel getting in now :)
Reassemble.
Crank, crank - - - Nothing except a blister on thumb (the one that's kept
out of the way when cranking - b*****ks) :(
Swift application of easy start - - - Nothing but smoke from exhaust :(
Check air valve clearances (desperation setting in) - - - OK but reset to
1/8".
Crank, crank - - - b****r all!!!! :(
Chucked a couple of squirts of oil down the plughole to gain some
compression (and some more easy-start).
Crank, crank - - - more smoke from exhaust, otherwise b****r all :(
Fed up - - - Get coffee and go and do something else! :)
So .................
Is there something missing from my atomiser assembly?
and
To ask the question for the thousandth time, who is the best bet to supply
piston rings?
and
Any other ideas?
Best regards but a slightly dejected,
Mark
Reply to
mark.howard10
Only the early ones have the cone type, approx pre-1919. A plain atomiser is correct for yours. There are three possibilities in order of likelihood: The atomiser is too far from the piston (reset to 1/16") it may have been broken off. half mine have been. The atomiser is blocked. Clear with brass wire - holes go right through the diagonals You have ball trouble. The ball in the elbow twixt carb and atomiser is not sealing hth Roland (who bought a nice Victory 5hp today :-)
Reply to
Roland Craven
On further thoughts....Assumecarb is getting fuel?? Std rings - Club Spares co-ordinator, Saratoga see SEM for the rest. However grooves are usually worn in which case give em a ride in the lathe and order made to measure rings from the Bradford Piston Ring Co. regards "Roland Craven"
Reply to
Roland Craven
Would the "victory" be yet another Petter
Martin P
Roland Craven wrote:
Reply to
Campingstoveman
Might be :-)
Reply to
Roland Craven
Thanks Roland,
Fuel is getting through (now), I could see it being pulled into the bore when I took the head off and turned the engine over. I reset the atomiser to 1/16" from the piston so I guess the lack of compression and therefore the rings are the problem. I'll strip the thing down soon for a proper inspection.
Regards
Mark
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ----------------------------------------------------------
mark.howard10
The normal CR is only 4.5;1 and they'll start with 3/10 of the cube root of BA. Also unless the rings/bore are totally shot the compression will rise with a run especially on load. I'd try a different plug first.... Just back with my tan from Yesterday's Farming which just seems to get better every year. John Manders happy as Gas-turbine APU absent :-) hth Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven