More for the Petter M experts

Chaps,

I'm new to running Petter M's. I have a 1930 5 HP which is a recent acquisition. It has a petrol head, a paraffin ring and a mixer/carburettor with a drain so it is set up to run on paraffin. It runs reasonably well on paraffin (after starting on petrol), but smokes a lot and misses a bit even when hot and under some load.

I've adjusted the ignition timing, (in accordance with the book) changed the spark plug and checked that the oil drip feed is set correctly but it still doesn't run as nicely as some I've seen on the rally field and smokes more than I do!.

The question is: is the mixture of a petrol head and a paraffin ring causing the problem? Would I be better running on petrol and taking the de-compression ring out or maybe running a mixture of petrol and paraffin - what do you think?

Regards

MARK

Reply to
Mark Howard

Runs like a watch now and clean too.

Having watched yours and Philips Petter's running I absolutely agree that they run like watches but who in God's name led you to believe that a Petter runs clean, thats an enigma is it not. :-)) Up wind at 100 paces maybe.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Roland, Still trying to win over local Petter owner.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

paradoxically it is certainly musical ;-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

No consider required. I took it straight off the oiler. Can you elaborate on the date/number of the manual please ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Hi Roland,

Hmm very interesting!

The manual I have is one of David Edgingtons reprints entitled:

"Working Instructions for the Petter Junior Oil Engine 1922 Model"

and then in small print:

"(Including Lubricating Instructions for Engines Manufactured between 1923 and 1931, Sizes 2.5, 5 & 8 BHP)"

- snappy eh!

What I hadn't realised (probably stupidly) was that the main body of the manual refers to the 5 HP requiring 6 to 10 drops per minute whereas the last page (which I've only just spotted) refers to the 1923 to 1931 models requiring 20 to 25 drops per minute. (I obviously nodded off whilst negotiating the long title).

That's cleared that up then!

Regards

MARK

Reply to
Mark Howard

I'd agree that Petter's are a variation on a theme :-))

Martin P

p.s. Roland your turn.

Reply to
Campingstoveman