Petter S Fuel

Hi..
I am nearing completion of my petter s re-restoration and wanted
to ask what is the best fuel to run them on?, the previous owner used
to run it on diesel but I am thinking about parrafin what is the best
for clean running .
Thanks for any advice
Bob
Reply to
Bob
Bob,
the general concensus seems to be that red diesel is the best fuel for an S type, as it is more of a lubricant than paraffin, so better for the pump as well as the cylinder. Tight farmers liked this engine as it would run on almost anything oily they put into it.
I run mine on red diesel because it's easily available to me. I have experimentally run it on paraffin to see if it smelt better, and went back to diesel. If you want very clean running, you'll need a load of some sort. Mine seems clean enough to me without a load, provided I keep the exhaust pot drained.
To avoid a horrifying run-away, do make sure to drain the crankcase before each and every start. My first start up was an incident I won't forget. I had never started an S-type before and had not seen anybody run through the starting procedure. I didn't have the hot-bulb hot enough, so made lots of failed efforts to start, pumping more fuel into the engine each time. When the hot- bulb finally was hot enough and the engine did start, there was lots of excess fuel to allow it to run away very dramatically. I can still see the whole engine trolley and water tank leaping up and down in the air, water splashing everywhere, before I got the situation under control. When it first fires press down the fuel lever if it shows any signs of running too fast. It should settle down within 30 seconds or so.
Have fun!
HTH, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur Griffin
Thanks Arthur can you tell me how you tell when then hot tube is at the right temperature?
thanks bob
Reply to
Bob
Bob,
It's not difficult, I was using a pathetic little half-pint blowlamp, and being far too impatient. I did want to mention the potential runaway hazard, which I guess has reduced the survival rate of these engines. I gather many S-type owners have a notable incident with the engine in the early days of owning it :-).
A few minutes with a gas torch like plumbers use, or a decent size blowlamp burning properly should heat it up quite sufficiently. Aim at the hot-bulb rather than the tube, at the base of the hot-tube. The tube will start changing colour towards red when you're hot enough, sometimes difficult to see in stong daylight.
Also you can pump in a shot of fuel with the half compression cock open and move the engine through TDC. If it's hot enough, smoke should come out through the half compression cock.
The help of Roland Craven and Philip Thornton-Evison much be acknowledged at this point, Philip put me on to the previous owner of my 5hp engine, and he and Roland answered all of my queries. They've both forgotten more about these engines than I will ever remember ;-).
Regards, Arthur G
Reply to
Arthur Griffin