crossley 1030

hello all ,
i have just had phonecall from a man , replying to a ad of mine ,placed at a sale yesterday in carlow. he has a 1030 crossley for sale , he cannot restore it himself ,as he
was injured in a traffic accident some years ago . he rescued the engine from charliville co .cork (where my other grandfather (r.i.p) is from )some 12 years ago from a creameary .
he said its 99% complete , and never touched .it also has a mag(not sure if its a bth), he is looking for 300 euro .. what do you's think -are small parts hard to get ?
the world is a small place - he was asking me where i was from , i said rathcoole , he told me he lived there years ago .. i asked him did he know the dungans.. he said it rings a bell , then he said 'mosser'(my granda'a nickname )ohh i sold him a fordson major over 20 years ago !!
i dont know who got the bigger shock , him or me !
so lads , i would like your opinions on the crossley , and on the price -keeping in mind you dont see a crossley 1030 everyday in ireland .
are there many in england ??
come on opinions !!
thanks - john dungan , dublin-ire
john dungan wrote:

Hi John
The 1030 is not the prettiest engine, but when properly fettled they do run quite nicely. The magneto will probably be a BTH. Do check the oil filler isn't damaged/broken, they are mounted in a very susceptible postion. If you do decide to buy the engine, it may be better to leave it in its working clothes rather than repaint. I've done exactly this with my D type Bruston set and it attracts a lot of interest from both other exhibitors and members of the public.
Best Regards
Philip T-E

ISTR that the 1030 needs to be tipped towards the head before starting. This makes sure that the head is lubricated before action commences. ( memory from 20 years ago I think) Dave Croft. PS ISTR that it lubricates everything nearby when it does run. 8^)
i've made up my mind that i'm gonna buy the crossley 1030,if it's all the present owner makes it out to be .
hopefully ,i'll arrange tomomorow to go up on sunday for a look , and if it's a gud un , i'll buy it , will post up pics on sunday if i get to see it on sunday ..
ohh yes - are all 1030's petrol -parrafin ??? , and is the fuel tank in the base ?
regards - john d

Yup, though of course they will run happily on petrol only.

it must be, I've not noticed an external tank on any I've seen.
Good luck with it, John.
Regards, Arthur G

Hi John,
A few 1030's were straight petrol, particularly those fitted with integral compressors for starting larger engines. These used a simpler carb with a single needle valve picking fuel up out of the base tank. Pet/Parrafin models have a small reservoir and extra needle valve on the carb for petrol starting. They tend to run quite hot so will run on paraffin with very little load. Another point from experience is that the priming cup on the head is there for good reason - it is rare you can get one to start without giving it a little sniff of petrol, perhaps as the carb has no choke? Also beware - like everything Crossley - they're heavy for their size! Regards
Dan
Dan Howden wrote:

And have a habit of sinking into mud past thier axles and electrocuting thier owners as well :-))
Martin P
replying to john dungan, Ruston wrote: Hello John I have a crossley 1030 engine and am wondering if you ever got yours running as I am having difficulty with mine and could do with some advice . I am living in co.kildare so not to far away ,also would you happen to have a manual for it I would gladly pay for a copy