The new engines are home !!

Hi all, I have just been to pick up my two new projects, a National type F (so i`ve been told) and a Bradford. The only details I can find on the National are stamped on the crank, these being 1929, MSC`, 558. Do you think the 1929 is the year of manufacture ?? The Bradford has 4703 stamped on both the crank and the governor arm, do you think this will be the serial no. Pictures here:-

MartinH

Reply to
Martin Hirst

CHARLES HAMILTON

the man i bought my first lister d off , has a national like yours , recently he has only made a mag stand for it and has it running .

i will see him on sunday at a bring and buy sale in carlow , i'll ask him has he any ideas on date for that type of engine if you like..

regards - john dungan , Dublin -Éire

Reply to
john dungan

John,

I used to work occasionally at a plastics factory in Tinahelly, through their maintenance engineer I was introduced to a man in the Carlow area who had a large collection of Tractors and Stationary engines. His name has slipped my mind but I do know that his collection was auctioned off when he died. Is the garage on the north side of Carlow on the road to Dublin still there with the Traction Engine, I did meet them once at the Dorset Steam fair a few years ago. Its seven years since I was regularly in Ireland and when I was driving to and from my work and Dublin Airport it wasn't unusual to see engines by the side of the road. You may know the place but one of the best steam museums I have been to was on the Naas road from Dublin inside an old church which had been moved from the Docks.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Thanks John, I am sure the 1929 stamped on the crank is right, the 558 the serial no, and the MSC` the person assembling it or something like that. If you see him could you ask if his has the date stamped on the web of the crank please. Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
Martin Hirst

hello martin ,

i know the place your talking about - tougher's restaurant , and the man who's collection you saw was norman sixsmith ???

that restaurant has now been sold , and is completed renovated now , and all the old gear is gone .

i can tell you it's a small world , as my uncle who owns a crane hire business , works often with sixsmith's son who is a banksman !

i talking to him only three weeks ago , when me and my father took the ballast from one of the cranes back to the yard - i was asking him about a junior , but said his father would'nt sell anthing , pity really -as eventually it will all rot ,and no one will have it ,as i cant imagine nobody has such time to restore so much stuff .

regards , john d

Reply to
john dungan