Does anyone have the new Atlas N-scale Shay?

Have any of you tried out the new 2-truck Shay yet? It's only a matter of time before I break down and buy one. (Come on, tax return!) It's a sweet-looking model. How does it run?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Maxwell

Yes, I have it.

I haven't actually tried any extended running, but on test track it runs really well. It is very low geared so it has an excellent low speed. It can crawl very slow, even on pure DC power (no pulse).

Mine had a shifted pickup contact under one of the trucks, but I just popped it back in place.

It is a very nice model and the running gear is truly amazing to watch. Now, I'll have to brake down and buy some MicroTrains Log cars!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Not necessarily... Standard gauge Shay's were also fairly common as switchers in the steam era. They were actually do more work faster in the yards, according to the manufacturer - top speed was less, but they could accelerate and deccelerate faster.

And the really nice thing about using them in the yard is that you can keep the geared side out all the time. ;)

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Thanks for the info, Joe!

Peteski