MR Freight Yards book

Anybody know if "The Model Railroader's Guide to Freight Yards" (Model Railroader Books) is any good? Trains.com sent me a "special offer" e-mail, offering to save me a whole $5 if I bought both it and "The Model Railroader's Guide to Freight Cars".

Of course, Amazon will save me $6.06 on that one by itself (priced at $12.89 vice $18.95), and if I buy it with the freight car book (for $13.97 vice $19.95) they'll ship them free, so it's not likely I'll buy from the high priced store, but I'll wait unti I've seen one.

What a deal those folks in Kilwaumee have for us!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve, I think the guide to freight yards is by Andy Sperandeo. If that's the case there is probably some interesting reading there. Everything Andy has ever written has been for people who actually want to build, design or learn about something. The books should be worth having as long as they are not by Thompson or Strang. I have the MR's Guide to Locomotive Serving Terminals by Marty McGuirk. As far a modeling goes its light with only info on how to utilize some of the more readily available kits and a few construction ideas. But for a good overview of prototype practice it's great. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

The author's name was the only thing that gave me any hope it might be worthwhile.

A very light, quick skim overview at that.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I was disappointed with the book. It's fine for someone with a 30'x40' room, but I don't feel it is much help for the person with the 10'x12' space that so many of us have to work with. He says double ended yards are better. I agree, but I just don't have room for a double ended yard. He never discusses the choices a person with limited space may have to make, or what tradeoffs a person should consider when making his decisions.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Margenau

Have you checked out the Layout Design SIG stuff on yards?

Reply to
Steve Caple