Hornby 2008 new model list...

Courtesy of Kernow Model Centre:
We have received details of the Hornby 2008 range. We are not normally permitted to release these details until New Years Day but now that a
railway magazine has released the details early we can give you the highlights. If you do not want to see them in advance look away now!
In the steam range there are three totally new models. The Southern T9 has been rumoured for a while and is now confirmed in four versions and also with or without DCC decoder fitted. The BR Standard 75xxx Steam Locomotive would appear to be a duplicate of that already announced by Bachmann. Unfortunately I am not expert in steam locomotives and if it is not a duplicate I apologise for my ignorance! The final new model is the Southern Schools class which will be a totally new tooling and is not in any way connected with the previous model that was released many years ago. The latter two models are shown as expected 4th Quarter 2008 while the T9 should be released around 2nd Quarter 2008. There are also many more re-liveries of existing models and some minor tooling tweaks to create additional West Country / Battle of Britain versions.
In the diesel range the High Speed Train gets a long-awaited makeover and will be totally re-tooled with a new digital chassis and super-detailed body. The Class 153 which has been crying out to be modelled is also in the range and this will also be a totally newly tooled model. From the former Lima range the Class 20 makes a re-appearance as does the Class 87 electric locomotive. Many re-liveries are also planned. The Class 153 is a 4th Quarter release while the High Speed Train should be released around 2nd Quarter 2008.
There are no totally new coaches but there are plenty of additional liveries or alternative running numbers. The new Maunsell coaches are to have another two numbers of each and there are also two new brake coaches listed. Unfortunately from the order form the detail is sparse and I do not know exactly what these two new coaches will be. No doubt there will be further details on the Hornby website on New Years Day.
There are some totally new wagons with the Shark brake van, Rudd, Clam and Tope ballast wagons all being welcome additions for the departmental fleet. There will be some further CDA China Clay wagons that are described as "Heavily weathered"!
There will be many new additions to the Skaledale range and some road vehicles which appear to be Oxford Diecast models re-branded to Hornby. There is a new range of scenics which looks very similar to the already popular Woodland Scenics range.
Finally Hornby are entering the Digital Sound market with a Class 60 Diesel and a Class 56 Diesel to be released with sound. Duchess Steam Locomotive "City of Sheffield" will be the first steam locomotive to receive the digital sound treatment. All three models are not expected until 4th Quarter 2008.
(kim)
On 23/12/2007 17:47, kim said,

Ooh!!!! Looks like next Christmas might be sorted :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

IMHO I'd go for the Bachmann one to keep consistency with most of the other standards from them. There are other standards that are crying out to be modelled, like the standard prairie tanks for instance, so to duplicate the 75xxx is a waste for Hornby to do in my humble onion.

This I could use, though not in great numbers.

What I'd like to know is will this include a retooling of the ridiculous fixed pony truck to something workable?? I saw one of the rebuilt WCs at an exhibition trying to negotiate medium radius Peco points (3' radius AFAIK) going backwards while fitted with the flanged wheels, and it kept derailing due to the pony truck wheels not being able to follow the track!! And that's on a 3' radius! Ridiculous!

These I could use.
The rest doesn't really interest me.
Ian J.
Wouldn't buy any of the cheap China made crap they are making now. You can't service the motors, they have a limited 100 hour life(typical average) and spares including spare bodies are almost non existant.

But when Hornby started their development Bachmann hadnt announced theirs so you cannot really blame Hornby for that. Did anyone mention duplication when Bachmann announced their 9F ?
Also think Bachmann being bit naughty (or even greedy) in still churning out split chassis stuff like B1 and (if it is still old model) unrebuilt Scot. How many people are getting caught by these older locos ? Think they should have concentrated on the upgrades rather than moan about Hornby or produce the G2.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

Perhaps Hornby should be more open about their plans, or maybe there should be an element of discussion between the two major manufacturers to avoid such duplication.

The Hornby model needed upgrading as did their 'Jinty' and there would have been nothing to stop them doing either, but I guess they left them on the back-burner whilst concentrating their efforts on the plethora of Southern locos.
Other existing models which need upgrading:
Bachmann - B1, V1/V3, V2, J72, 03 & 04 diesels.
Hornby - Unrebuilt Patriot, B17, D49, Compound, GWR 28xx, 14xx, J50, J94 etc.
the list goes on & on.
John.
John Turner wrote:

Not a chance. As far as I can see Hornby is simply flooding the market with unneeded products so as to squeeze out the competition.
(kim)
"kim" wrote

I think there's an awful lot of truth in at least part of that, and for sure there is far too much Hornby product in a relatively small market place. Just take a look at the comparative prices of 'used' Hornby and Bachmann on eBay for instance. Hornby locos sell for VERY little, whilst Bachmann seem to hold their values much more readily.
How many 'King Arthur' models have Hornby flooded onto the market in a relatively short period of time? Must be approaching double figures, and of course they've done much the same with other recent releases such as the Bulleid Pacifics.
John.
John Turner wrote:

The King Arthur is at least an exclusive, newly-tooled model. A lot of the recent Hornby rehashes appear to have been done purely to deprive newly-tooled Bachmann models of their market share and for no other reason. I think the Hornby management have decided there is only room for *one* RTR manufacturer in the UK and it's going to be them.
(kim)
"kim" wrote

I think they're backing a loser in that case. If the retail trade have any sense they'll support Bachmann against Hornby - at least Bachmann and to a similar extent Heljan are not flooding the market with too much product.
John.

Any company putting itself into a monopoly position, either in the UK or Europe would be wise to keep an eye on the kind of problems Microsoft have faced worldwide. Hornby could certainly end up under the spotlight of monopolies legislation if they get anywhere near being the only RTR manufacturer in the UK, as it would have to mean they'd squeezed out viable competition.
Ian J.

Not a lawyer but not sure if thats strictly true. Is it not more of a case of how they become a monopoly and how they subsequently use that position. Enough companies have made themselves unviable.
Cheers, Simon

Nope, Hornby decide on what will sell and if bachmann leave the upgrade of a model too late then its a chance for hornby to sell it. Dont remember anyone condeming Bachmann for the 9F or the Jinty - I certainly didnt just as I'm not condeming Hornby now.
Well OK, I will cos I want a decent unrebuilt Scot and not a standard 4, but thats personal and I accept I'm not their only customer.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

That may have been because there was a *real need* for a loco-driven 9F?
(kim)

If thats tongue in cheek then I'm smiling, if not then would love to see an explanation ?
cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Few people were happy with the tender drive arrangement. Hornby ignored continual pleas to upgrade the mechanism. I doubt very much they'd be doing it now if it wasn't for the competition from Bachmann.
(kim)

Dunno, they were already well on their way through the list of models that needed conversion from tender drive.
But my point was that Bachmann were applauded for taking on the 9F but Hornby slated for the scot and standard 4 when they too were due for upgrade from split chassis loco and fairly old bodies. But dont tell me Bachmann have announced these would be upgraded, theyre still churning out split chassis locos.
cheers, Simon

Now I can believe retailers are suffering from the plethora of train sets that apprear in all the argos type shops but dont see how customers suffer. Seems to me more a case of Bachmann not getting stuff out to the market so customer is suffering from lack of product. i'm reminded of my local toy shop who couldnt get a particular loco for me. In the end they just gave up on bachmann. Really dont understand the second hand market - perhaps it was easier before ebay - but look at the prices of Mainline, before recent upgrade announcements theyre Scots were up for 40-50, now theyve plunged nearer to 25-35. Similar effect on Bachmann ones as well.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

It's all about supply & demand Simon. If there's too much of anything readily available in the market place then it's value drops. The Scots are a classic case in point - people are off-loading the older rebuilt Scots from Mainline, Airfix & Bachmann because they've bought the newer one from Hornby. The clever people off-loaded the old model before the new one was released.
John.

True, but are 2nd Hornby prices depressed cos too many or are they correct cos enough vs bachmann artificially high due to poor supply...
cheers, Simon