Hornby 2005

My guess is that they will announce a class 60 diesel and a totally new class 37!

No new steam though apparently, bugger.

Reply to
piemanlarger

Piemanlarger wrote:-

The Class 60 has been much leaked. I'm guessing the other will be a Heljan type so as to knock them out of the market and have one less competitor to deal with. Bachmann might even do the same.

Except the new live steam subject. According to Corgi Classics the nostalgia market is in decline at the moment but has always been cyclical.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And just one wagon.

All these engines, but nowt new to pull behind them.

pete

Reply to
mutley

"piemanlarger" wrote

I suspect you're wrong on both counts! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ok, Deltic and class 22

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" wrote

All should be clear by late next week. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Argh, I wanna know :-| Re-tooled 47 and a new 73?

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

In message , piemanlarger writes

Seeing as how they want to do green EMUs, I reckon one of the locos could be a class 33. Then they could do a 4TC fo it to pull (or push).

Reply to
John Sullivan

They have a class 33 ready in their new Lima range, hopefully with a mechanism upgrade!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

That would be rather stupid of them, as Heljan are releasing one next year. So you're probably correct then. ;)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Gregory Procter wrote:-

It will take a lot more than a new mechanism to upgrade the Lima 33 to Hornby Class 50 standards. I'm not even sure it's possible to upgrade the mechanism on a mass production basis as opposed to a one-off which is relatively easy.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Rich Makin wrote:-

Could be a re-tooled Hymek or even Western which would _seriously_ damage Heljan's trading position.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bet your not ;-)

Class 60 in EWS, Loadhaul and Mainline Livery next year with a low level drive and see through bodyside grilles as per the prototype, probably a Class 37 and the new wagon, I can even tell you what that is ;-)

Nick

Nick Gurney

Too late now for a Hymek, as anyone who wanted a decent one will probably have already bought the Heljan one - and that includes even Scrooge Me! I vote for a 60, closely followed by a 73.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

It concerns me that Hornby are wasting their efforts on producing a locomotive which just duplicates the efforts of another manufacturer. It just means that the number of sales will be split between the two. Also, why no new steamers? Obviously the death of their chief designer will have delayed things somewhat, but it still seems disappointing.

The new pre-nationlisation coaches are intriguing. Are these going to be Maunsells at last?? I cant imagine them being re-tools of their existing Stanier or GW stock.

There is also mention of the reintroduction of a couple of old favourite locomotives, to remind other manufacturers that they havnt surrended them. Any guesses on these? M7 maybe?

Reply to
John Ruddy

By "upgrade" I was thinking of something completely new sitting under the old body.;-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

As I understand, there have been fairly 'accurate' rumours about the coaches being all new Stanier ones. Maunsells are more likely to be 2006, if then.

I wanted the rebuilt WC/BB, but looks like that's at least another year and a half away... :-(

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Ian J. wrote:-

In which case the new live steamer will almost certainly be a Stanier Pacific.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Last I heard was that it would be a streamlined Coronation.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Nick Gurney" wrote

If I've to hazard a guess, then knowing something of Hornby's obsession with

*glamorous* loco's I'd tend to suspect they'll go for an all-singing all-dancing *Deltic* - maybe even with sound!

As for the other one, maybe a class 66. If they don't do this, they will have no *true modern image* diesel in their range and will effectively be surrendering the future market to Bachmann.

John.

Reply to
John Turner