Hornby 2005

Chris Wilson wrote:-

As far as I can tell Hornby persuaded the big chains to stock at least some of their sets in return for a saturation TV advertising campaign on children's TV. It's possible the stores were also persuaded to accept a lower mark up than usual. There are just two boxes on offer at my local branch of Woolies and they are completely lost within acres of floor space devoted to toys this year. Methinks Hornby's marketing budget would have been better spent elsewhere.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Chris Wilson" wrote

And our turnover has roughly doubled.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

LOL - your joking on the latter point. I wish I could get the same discount that the multiples are getting.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Michael Walker" wrote

I'd suggest that the Hymek and class 20 fall into the small diesel category, as will the class 31 when Hornby get around to releasing it. I suppose the class 37 would fall into the medium-sized category.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

It's possible Hornby were working on a Class 73 electro-diesel prior to the takeover of Lima. That would fit with their proposed Southern EMU, their Eurostar and in one livery could even pull their recent Pullman coaches.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Because everyone else has gone out of business? ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

John Turner wrote:-

If you order in the same quantities you can.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"John Turner" wrote

LOL - your joking on the latter point. I wish I could get the same discount that the multiples are getting.

John, Do you ind (as I did when I spent my ive years in the modelling trade) that come Christmas, the first thing yo did was to look through the Argos catalouge to see which sets NOT to stock?

We did't deal direct with Hornby, but by the one wholesaler in the country at the time (I think J Areys is Shipley now stock Hornby since the time I refer to) The price that Little-gos could sell them at was what we paid trade ! No point in stocking that set !

However, as with Scalextric, you can't get that extra bit of track on the new car on boxing day from Little-gos's where as you can from your small local store!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Michael Walker" wrote

I'd suggest that the Hymek and class 20 fall into the small diesel category, as will the class 31 when Hornby get around to releasing it. I suppose the class 37 would fall into the medium-sized category.

John.

I take it the crappy Lima 67 would not it the bill?

I heard back at the York festival that the Bachmann 20 was going to have the windows re-tooled... Has anyone else heard this?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Go for it!

I suppose you could call me that...

Definately.

Maybe. Doesn't everyone have a maximum amount of money they can afford to spend, regardless of what catagory they may be in?

Well, I'm glad you're not Hornby!

They seem to be moving in my direction though, neatly made well detailed models with a proper drive system - there's hope yet!

I'd expect the HJ 33 to be priced similarly to the Hymek, at around £65 in the shops.

Depends what the individual wants of course, but surely its time to move away from the old crap. That did more to put me off the hobby than encourage me. I resented paying £40 odd quid for locos that didn't work etc.

My layout was 'mothballed' for years, I picked up the odd model magazine now and then but thats as far as things got. It wasn't until a few years ago when I read of Bachmann making models that worked properly (i.e. the Warship and the 158) that I bought a couple, dusted down the layout and started again. Very little of the old Hornby and Lima stuff has been used since, some of it has been binned, some of it used for practice at masking and painting but none of it has been used properly in an operating session.

Shame that the layout died last year, the garage got excessively damp and knackered the boards, all my models are on shelves so if you really wanted to insult, you could call me a collector! :o)

Reply to
Ben C

Until they derail of course.... ;)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Or did you mean Clayton ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Or moved north ! (don't laugh, I know of people who have done so...)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

A class 14 makes sense, although they didn't last long in BR service they have lasted longer in private and preservation - just about *any* livery could be applied (including Thomas and H Potter !...) without to many complaints.

A class 22 will fill a gap in the hydraulic fleet, and if 6 wheel milk tanks or china-clay wagons were also released...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And would have marketing help from the NRM's decision to re streamline their Duchess.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from ":::Jerry::::" contains these words:

Obviously people of good taste.

Reply to
David Jackson

Can't argue with what, seeing that one side of the family came from north of Newcastle ! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from ":::Jerry::::" contains these words:

My wife is from, er, south of Watford (south of Croydon, actually) and while she doesn't mind the odd visit south, would never go back there to live.

My son has to work in the London area occasionally, and I always ask if the trip has gone well. "Yup! And the best bit was getting on the train at Euston and seeing 'Crewe' destination list!" is the usual reply.

Reply to
David Jackson

Reminds me when I was with English Electric Computers too many years ago. HQ was in Kidsgrove, just north of Stoke. Some Engineers came down to the London offices in Euston Road. Afterwards had a few beers before they got on the train at Euston.

One of them couldn't find his ticket but persuaded the bloke at the barrier to let him through. After all, he'd travelled down that morning with his colleagues, hadn't he, so he must have it somewhere.

And again with the guard when he came inspecting tickets, and they were in the restaurant car.

And once again when he got off at Stoke.

When he finally got home his wife asked "where's the car, dear?"

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I must admit I hadn't thought of the 20 as a small loco but you're right. The Hymek is closer to medium sized I would have thought.

The 73 although a reasonable guess hasn't been recently super detailed which was one of the statements on MREMAG about the new loco, so it's probably not it unless it's a red herring referring to the Dapol version. I doubt it though! A 73 would probably be on the books though if a set which could also be made into a 4TC got up. Not being up on all things Southern, I'm not sure if pulling EMUs was a regular occurrence.

Reply to
Michael Walker