Hornby Class 60 images...

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Seeing these pictures of the new Hornby version makes you realise how good the Lima version was. The Hornby one doesn't really look that much better, despite the advances in UK model standards. But Hornby did buy all of Lima's assets recently, so I wonder if..... :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

On 18/08/2005 19:29, Fred X wrote,

After buying the assets, I would be surprised if Hornby didn't do anything with them. I'm just waiting for Hornby to re-release the Lima GWR Railcars so I can get some bodies for hackery purposes without paying silly collector prices! Mind you, I did sell a railcar on eBay for a silly collector price, so I can't really complain, I suppose :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Fred X" wrote

Totally new tooling I'm assured, but some of it not much of an improvement on the efforts of Lima if these pictures are anything to go by. Certainly the roof grills look very much old-quality.

The one thing the pictures can't tell though is how well the new 60 will run. If it's on a par with the Hornby 08, 31 & 50 then I'll accept some bodywork failings, after all the Lima 60, just like all the Italian jobbies, was a total performance dog and is just one of the reasons that I've not owned a Lima model for many years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I'm told there will be some Lima re-issues in 2006. Just hope that Hornby sort the crap mechanisms.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I must say did have an EWS class 60 by Lima and after a couple of warm up lapsit ran superbly, every bit as good as a twin flywheel motor. You did have to keep the wheels spotless though and I do admit the second one i had did not run as well, but it was not too bad. I only sold the EWS class 60 as I presumed Hornby would be doping the see through grills, especially for £75. If the grills are not right, I wi;ll be buying some cheap Lima class

60's!!!

Saying that, I "hired" my old Lima 60 from a club mate the other week to "work" my Murco tanker train. A slightly shorter than prototypical train of

18x100ton bogies as apposed to 24. The lima 60 failed, could not move them!!!!

Reply to
Piemanlager

Simon, There is definite daylight through the grills- but is there light at the ends ?

Looks good. Not much of a change to the Lima model, but bar the motor, what were the failings on the Lima model?

Andy

"Piemanlager" wrote If the grills are not right, I wi;ll be buying some cheap Lima class

60's!!!
Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

The basic shape of the bodyshell was pretty good, faults were general Lima silliness... tries to remember what there was to correct on the Lima 60 I tarted up...

- no footsteps on the bogies

- drivers side cab window had two panes modelled instead of three

- rather lame buffers that didn't resemble the real thing

- solid grilles to be cutting out and replacing, and the fitting of internal details afterwards

- moulded handrails

- lack of lighting

- poor underframe detail

- paint job that was a poor colour match (EWS) and/or rubbed off with handling

and a crap drive system.

Judging by the photos, the Hornby model looks as if it addresses all of these issues* and if the drive system is as good as the 50 and 31 then it'll be utterly reliable and able to pull a heavy set of Bachmann JGA hoppers.

So no, not much of a difference to the Lima model at all :o)

  • the only thing the photo doesn't show is working lights, but I'd be surprised if these were missing.
Reply to
Ben C

Of course they will John! What else are they going to do with all those Ringfields they're not putting in tenders!?

:o)

~Fil

PS Hornby, this is a joke okay? not an idea!!

Reply to
Fil Downs