What oil to lube crosscut paper shredder?

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my
home office?
Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40. It seems some shredder oils are the consistency of a light machine oil which is heavier than I would have predicted.
I wonder if some of the newer lubes (graphite sprays, PTFE, etc) would do a good job? I guess the main requirements are probably
(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon (2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear (3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.
======================Advice pages on the internet seem confused:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid 060830093845AA7venA (1) mineral oil.......food grade (2) Mineral oil or sewing machine oil. (3) We use 5W30 motor oil ours and it has been working fine for a year and a half. (4) use mineral oil. if you use any type of pertroleum based oil it will get on the paper you are shredding, and in turn get into the land fill. i know you are saying it is such a small amount, but how many shreders are out there??? imagine if everyone used regular oil in their shreders.... imagine the amount of oil that would go into the land fill, and then into the water table. (5) They are all lubricants. Any oil is fine, WD-40 or whatever you have. (6) A very light weight oil. sewing machine oil should do it.
[AFAIK mineral oil is a petroleoum oil]
==============I have tended to use a silicone spray lubricant or a silicon + PTFE spray like these. However but they do not seem to provide enough lube to prevent cuttings staying on the shredder blade (and I am not applying so much lube thatthe cuttings stick to the blade). http://www.maplin.co.uk/Silicone_Grease_with_PTFE.search http://www.maplin.co.uk/Multi_Purpose_Silicone_Grease.search

I would have guessed 3 in 1 it is pretty universal for light machine use http://www.wd40.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid  Derek
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:38:48 +0100, "Derek"

Silicone spray "dry lube".
Alan wrote:

I use Wahl clipper oil Not expensive and made for cutting blades

Where did you get this from?
dna wrote:

It came with my clippers but most wholesale hairdressing outfits stock it Search on clipper oil brings up item 180272242635 (exactly what I use)

Thanks, do you know the url?
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:20:10 +0100, dna wrote:

He's had a couple of drinks so he won't be able to come round before tomorrow. That OK?
Appelation Controlee wrote:

clearly! Anyway - it's nout to do with me. My eBay alias is the same as this post.
dna wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk and type the item number180272242635 into the search box.
Write back and tell us what worked or didn't.
Alan wrote:

Alan expressed precisely :

When in doubt listen to the manufacturer. I get calls on a daily basis from people who want to over-maintain thier equipment. It doesn't help, in fact it can be harmfull. If you follow the instructions that came with your shredder chances are you will get the maximum life out of the equipment.
Arlowe wrote:

What a patronising post. THANKS. I mean it's not as if thre would be the same product under another label elsewhere is it!
DCA formulated on Monday :

No, not patronizing at all. I posted from experience. I manage the service and warranty division of a company that manufactures equipment used by the pharmacutical industry. It is my job to track mechanical failures in our products, developing service proceedures and provide information back to the engineering divisions. In a nutshell, if it breaks; I determine how it broke, why it broke , how to fix it and how to make sure it doesn't break again.
I am sorry you took my post as some sort of insult, I assure you it wasn't. However I still stand by my advice, if you are in doubt about what oil to use then use the recommended oil as per the instructions.
On Mon 04 Aug 2008 11:03:20, Arlowe wrote:

Perhaps it is good advice but it disregards cost. The shredder manufacturer (Fellowes) almost certainly subcontracts the manufacture of the lube so it is quite the same lube or better can be bought for less cost.
Arlowe wrote:

OK - fair enough. But your take is standard and does not answer the OP Incidentally, are you in the US - your spelling of pharmacutical would be strange for someone in the UK industry I don't agree though,. Manufacturers recommend their own products to make further profit. As you are comparing shredder oil to the pharmaceutical engineering works, I'll compare to cars: manufacturers state minimum spec (eg: oil - invariably can be bought better, cheaper elsewhere) Quality light oil made for electrical cutting blades will not vary a whole lot. The Wahl ones are fine.
DCA pretended :

That's because it is incorrect, it's pharmaceutical. I use a wireless keyboard that is on it's last leg :) I am an expatriated American living in Australia

Absolutely.
On Sun 03 Aug 2008 23:55:44, Arlowe wrote:

I have to confess that I'm not planning to add to my shredder manufacturer's profits by buying their expensive lube if there is cheaper and possibly better lube available.
Do you have any data to support your proposal that it is more cost- effective to use a shredder manufacturer's oil than any other?
After serious thinking Alan wrote :

Use what ever you bloody well want. I just stated that "when in doubt" follow the instructions.
I can define that for you if you like.
If you know the type of oil that is need, then by all means use it. If you don't know then the logical thing to do is to ask the manufacturer.
That is my data... :/
On Wed 06 Aug 2008 10:17:25, Arlowe wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of your data to support your proposition that it can be harmful not to use the shredder manufacturer's oil.

I guess I posted here to ask people with greater expertise than I have to assist. I must say I'm not entirely convinced you would necessarily fall into that category.

Sounds as useful as your advice to "follow the instructions"; it's true but may be far more expensive than necessary.
You see I suspect a manufacturer would not direct me to a cheaper and better source. They are likely to be more interested in making profit from their markup than showing me how to get good value for money.

Thank you for your posts.