What oil to lube crosscut paper shredder?

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40. It seems some shredder oils are the consistency of a light machine oil which is heavier than I would have predicted.

I wonder if some of the newer lubes (graphite sprays, PTFE, etc) would do a good job? I guess the main requirements are probably

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon (2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear (3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

========================

Advice pages on the internet seem confused:

(1) mineral oil.......food grade (2) Mineral oil or sewing machine oil. (3) We use 5W30 motor oil ours and it has been working fine for a year and a half. (4) use mineral oil. if you use any type of pertroleum based oil it will get on the paper you are shredding, and in turn get into the land fill. i know you are saying it is such a small amount, but how many shreders are out there??? imagine if everyone used regular oil in their shreders.... imagine the amount of oil that would go into the land fill, and then into the water table. (5) They are all lubricants. Any oil is fine, WD-40 or whatever you have. (6) A very light weight oil. sewing machine oil should do it.

[AFAIK mineral oil is a petroleoum oil]

================

I have tended to use a silicone spray lubricant or a silicon + PTFE spray like these. However but they do not seem to provide enough lube to prevent cuttings staying on the shredder blade (and I am not applying so much lube thatthe cuttings stick to the blade).

Alan

I would have guessed 3 in 1 it is pretty universal for light machine use

Derek

Silicone spray "dry lube".

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I use Wahl clipper oil Not expensive and made for cutting blades

Reply to
DCA

Reply to
ecarecar

Where did you get this from?

Reply to
dna

Alan expressed precisely :

When in doubt listen to the manufacturer. I get calls on a daily basis from people who want to over-maintain thier equipment. It doesn't help, in fact it can be harmfull. If you follow the instructions that came with your shredder chances are you will get the maximum life out of the equipment.

Reply to
Arlowe

It came with my clippers but most wholesale hairdressing outfits stock it Search on clipper oil brings up item 180272242635 (exactly what I use)

Reply to
DCA

What a patronising post. THANKS. I mean it's not as if thre would be the same product under another label elsewhere is it!

Reply to
DCA

No, not patronizing at all. I posted from experience. I manage the service and warranty division of a company that manufactures equipment used by the pharmacutical industry. It is my job to track mechanical failures in our products, developing service proceedures and provide information back to the engineering divisions. In a nutshell, if it breaks; I determine how it broke, why it broke , how to fix it and how to make sure it doesn't break again.

I am sorry you took my post as some sort of insult, I assure you it wasn't. However I still stand by my advice, if you are in doubt about what oil to use then use the recommended oil as per the instructions.

Reply to
Arlowe

I have to confess that I'm not planning to add to my shredder manufacturer's profits by buying their expensive lube if there is cheaper and possibly better lube available.

Do you have any data to support your proposal that it is more cost- effective to use a shredder manufacturer's oil than any other?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Alan

Perhaps it is good advice but it disregards cost. The shredder manufacturer (Fellowes) almost certainly subcontracts the manufacture of the lube so it is quite the same lube or better can be bought for less cost.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Alan

OK - fair enough. But your take is standard and does not answer the OP Incidentally, are you in the US - your spelling of pharmacutical would be strange for someone in the UK industry I don't agree though,. Manufacturers recommend their own products to make further profit. As you are comparing shredder oil to the pharmaceutical engineering works, I'll compare to cars: manufacturers state minimum spec (eg: oil - invariably can be bought better, cheaper elsewhere) Quality light oil made for electrical cutting blades will not vary a whole lot. The Wahl ones are fine.

Reply to
DCA

When I got my first Fellowes shredder, I telephoned them and asked the very same question.

Their reply was to use ordinary cooking oil (the lady on the phone even said no to use anything expensive like olive oil), put some on a piece of paper and shred it. The instructions were to do this after the bin had been emptied 3-4 times.

I tend to use two sheets of paper, one to the left and another to the right, otherwise I can envisage part of the cutter not getting oiled.

At the time I telephoned them, they did not have their own oil, having bought a new shredder a year ago, I notice they now recommend their own oil! I also notice it was about £6 for a small amount (expensive compared to the Morrisions cooking oil I always use!).

Chris Thompson East of England Binoculars.

Chris Thompson

Thanks, do you know the url?

Reply to
dna

He's had a couple of drinks so he won't be able to come round before tomorrow. That OK?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

type the item number180272242635 into the search box.

Reply to
DCA

clearly! Anyway - it's nout to do with me. My eBay alias is the same as this post.

Reply to
DCA

After a few years of rancid oil buildup that might stink a little.. Eric

Reply to
Eric

That's because it is incorrect, it's pharmaceutical. I use a wireless keyboard that is on it's last leg :) I am an expatriated American living in Australia

Reply to
Arlowe