Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

It should be indeed decent for light to moderate use. If it looks like this:

Ignoramus4185

Is the IR T-10 compressor pretty decent for light use in a home shop and is it still in production? It would see mostly general shop use - providing air for a T&C air bearing, topping off tires, and that sort of thing.

I've finding different model numbers for IR's current offerings and haven't turned up much on the T-10 in web searches, other than auction listings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

They use that same pump on a 20 gallon horizontal . The motor was fried on one that was given to me , that pump is now on the top of my Speedaire 60 gal tank . The 20 has an oil-less pump that had a cracked tank ... Gives me shop air and a portable , all for less than a hundred bucks and a bit of labor .

Reply to
Snag

I would not pay more than $200, $250 if I feel generous and in a hurry. Used compressors can be found at decent prices. But if you overpay and pay, say, $350, the worst thing that happened is you paid $100 more than you could, not the end of the world.

When you do buy a compressor, make a nice compressed air system, with an air dryer, manifolds, oilers etc, all neatly mounted, it is very useful.

Ignoramus11957

That depends a lot on how much you'd rather have a compressor than to keep looking for the best possible bargain.

If it's a 2stage, figure about $850 new. For a singlestage, figure about $500.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'm pretty sure it looks like that one. What's a fair price to pay for one with reported low use?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

It's a single-stage, I think, and is supposed to be around 9 years old with ~100 hours use. I'm not looking for the best possible bargain so much as not wanting to get taken too badly. The seller wants $500 which sounds be a bit high from comments here unless it has a few accessories.

The seller claims it has a 5 HP motor that draws 15 amps at 220 single-phase and that sounds more than a little like a Sears HP rating. Maybe he's mistaken on the HP or maybe I'm mistaken on the single phase. I'll check it out tomorrow evening if the seller is available then and see what's what.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

no thats NOT a sears HP or its BARELY optimistic 15A is 4.4 HP at 220 (REAL CONTINUOUS HP) 4.8 HP at 240V

it might be optimistic but Barely and nowhere near as fictitious as a "sears" or a chinese HP

The amperage rating is a true continuous rating rather than HP the amperage rating has been standardized as what the motor puts out for its rated duty cycle

IMO i'd rather a Dual Stage but i've seen and used far worse. but when a motor is stated by volts and amps te horsepower you get by calculating volts times amps is the "real" and continuous horsepower. if you look at the "Sears" motors their Volts times amps come nowhere near close to the Claimed HP

Reply to
Brent

Sounds a bit high to me. Check out ebay item 330149208046, which is comparable and honestly described (it seems). Sold for $112.

You can search eBay completed items for

("5 hp", 5hp) compressor -(7.5*,2.5*,champion,motor,airbrush,honda,gas)

you will see that the prices for comparable models are way below the $500 that the seller is asking.

At best, 220 volts, 15 amps is 3,300 watt, or 4.37 HP, assuming unattainable, perfect 100% efficiency. My 5 HP Baldor motor is rated for 23 amps. It is rated for 82% efficiency and 87% power factor.

Ignoramus11957

Assuming the motor is 80% efficient (which is good), then its output at

220v, 15A, is 3.5 HP. i
Reply to
Ignoramus11957

But the point here is thats still far better than 5 "sears" hp

Reply to
Brent

AIR, the seller says that the compressor puts out around 10 cfm at 90 psig. From what I've seen of IR's current low range offerings that capacity and the current draw sounds a lot more like 3 HP than 5 HP. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.

I'd still like to get impressions from any current or past IR T-10 owners.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

That item did seem to go pretty cheap but whenever I find deals like that are it seems there is some hidden part broken that ends up costing more than the original deal itself. It does seem like compressors of this class bring less than $500 on Ebay and that's good to know.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

What really counts is ACFM at 90 PSI. For $500 you should be able to get about 11 ACFM.

If the tank is an ASME tank in good condx and the pump is rated for

11+ ACFM at 90 PSI and is in good shape, then the tank and pump are worth most of $500. A "real" 5 HP 21-amp 220V single-phase compressor-service motor is about $200, less if you find a bargain.

Ingersoll pumps aren't as good as long-lived as Quincy because they're splash-lube rather than pressure-lube, but in home shop service they should last a lifetime. I have an IMC clone of the Ingersoll T29 pump that has been in service for nearly 20 years and I keep "air up" 24/7 except when we're away for any length of time. I replaced the motor last year but the pump is still going strong.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I sold a 5 HP 11.5 CFM 80-gallon compressor (don't recall brand) in very good shape for about $200 a year or so ago in an estate sale. Up to buyer to load it up and haul it away. (He did, gladly!)

Reply to
Don Foreman

Just a data point, my single stage, 5 HP compressor makes about 14 CFM.

Ignoramus11957

Judging from a small picture the tank and compressor look nearly new. The compressor is described as 11 cfm @ 40 psig and 10 cfm at 90 psig so it might be worth $400 using your criteria, if I may make that assumption. That capacity should be fine and I already have a 20-amp, 220 VAC outlet in the garage for it, which should work assuming the motor really does draw 15 amps as the seller claims. The capacaity is good enough for me and I'm not hung up on the HP.

Guess I'll see tomorrow night after work.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

You may.

There ya go!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mike, for $500, you can buy a high end used compressor. I regularly read craigslist and such compressors do show up from time to time. Even less money can be paid for 5HP compressors at industrial liquidations, though you may need to add a VFD to run one.

The last item that sold for $481 is at least two levels above that T10. The motor on it looks like single phase.

Ignoramus8011

Well, I looked at the compressor tonight and it essentially looks like new, but the seller doesn't have 220 power in his garage so it couldn't be powered up to check it out. No accessories at all other than what was shipped with the compressor, not even a regulator, though he thought there might be one about somewhere. I couldn't find a HP rating on the motor but is rated at 15 amp and that's fine with me - the CFM ratings were as he described (10 cfm at 90 psig).

In looking for info on the T-10 this offering turned up at Northern Tool:

It's an IR compressor with a different part number but essentially identical specs at a price of $580 with shipping. Unless The IR T-10 is somehow better than the new one in the listing above it seems hard to justify buying the used one at $500, especially since I don't know for sure that the used one works properly. The seller seemed wlling to dicker a bit but quickly declined my offer of $300, claiming that he paid nearly $1k for it around 9 years ago.

If anyone thinks that the used one is worth $500 I'd like to hear about it. Perhaps a call to IR would be in order.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry