Slightly OT: Loncin engines any good?

I know this is a little off-topic, but I thought I'd ask here as there
is so much more activity in this group than sci.engr.mech.
A while back I mentioned that I'm trying to fix my Ransomes Marquis
mower. I think the Clinton engine is pretty well banjaxed - I can see
the piston wobble quite noticeably when I press on it with my finger,
and the recoil start is dodgy - so I think the best solution is a new
engine. I'm not even sure the Clinton engine was the original, as all
the other examples I've seen are fitted with BSA engines.
Anyway, I found this engine on eBay and wondered what people think of it?

It looks very similar to a Honda, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Do
Loncin have a reputation or is it junk? From a few engines I've seen
recently I've started to think that small air-cooled engines are
becoming a commodity and they're all much of a muchness. Briggs and
Stratton still have a name and I've been happy with their engines in the
past, but they'll cost a bit more. I'm also not sure what to think about
the electronic ignition on the Loncin. What do people think?
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Sure looks like a Honda knockoff to me, or it could be a Subaru-Robin copy also. Copies are OK /if/ they are done properly. Loncin Group comes up in a quick search as a large Chinese motorcycle and motor scooter manufacturer, claiming a million units a year. Whether they actually ship that many...
See if the local UK supplier has the exact engine you need - mounting, output shaft, governor type (you only need a simple air-vane governor, but people repowering a generator need a special flyweight governor), output shaft gear reduction (if your old engine has one, the new one will need it too), electric start and/or lighting/charging coil, etc.
If the local seller will stand behind it for a year or two (and be the go-between to the factory, because he has the ongoing business relationship with them), and the price is decent, I'd say go for it. If the dealer is saying "Call the factory" if something goes wrong, run - unless you like beating your head against a wall.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
A Google search turns up the fact that that is a Chinese engine.
- no English option. No track record either. Could be OK but it could also be a nightmare when it comes to parts/service. I would tend towards (IMHO) a Honda. The mower you have is a good one and re-powering with a slightly more expensive engine makes good sense. Having said that - Honda engines are *very* reliable but if anything goes wrong (internally - very rare - but outside the core things do fall apart ) obtaining parts becomes an excercise in futility, ( undocumented part number changes being just one barrier).
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
Thanks for the opinions. How do people think Honda compare to Briggs and Stratton? Any thoughts?
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Thanks for the opinions. How do people think Honda compare to Briggs and Stratton? Any thoughts?
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Honda engines are very good, some of the briggs are dam strong too. Most of them hold up to a good deal of work. The briggs on my kids gocart is in a constant over rev mode and is still going. Not sure what RPMs he runs it at but I keep waiting for it to pop. Have a few extras in the shed but haven't needed one yet.
Reply to
Waynemak
I used to know a guy who ran a go-kart track, he said replacing the Briggs with Hondas was the best thing he ever did.
John
Reply to
JohnM
You have to make sure that when you compare prices and outputs that you are comparing like against like. B&S as well as most other makes have several different quality levels, cheapest(and lightest) is the alloy cylinder with chrome plating that's not rebuildable, next up is the alloy cylinder with an iron liner, then there's the heavy-weight all-iron engine. Not sure if B&S even makes the last in the smaller sizes anymore. The cheap light duty ones can last for many years as home lawnmower engines, probably wouldn't last very long for somebody doing day-in-day-out lawn maintenance service(or in go-karts). I've had good luck with Briggs engines in my lawnmowers, they've gone years with nothing more than spark plug and oil changes. I didn't like it much when they changed over from oil and foam air filters to paper disposable ones, but the paper filters have proven to be pretty long lasting and definitely not as messy. Biggest thing with B&S engines in this area is that most any hardware store or home improvement place has a wide variety of service parts on the peg, I've never seen that with Honda. For those, you have to go out to the franchised dealer and pay whatever he's asking, if the part is in stock.
Only real problem I've had with a B&S engine was a magneto went bad, usual problem of the engine heating up and the magneto crapping out. Was easy to fix, if not cheap. Part was readily available, hand over the plastic, get back the coil. Ran like $30 from the local hole-in-the-wall mower repair joint. Has run for 4 years since then with no problems. Since the mower was free, I haven't felt too badly about it.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
Thanks for the information, Stan. My lawnmower was free too actually. I was given it by my uncle because he didn't have enough space to use it. For many years it was used by the council for mowing the parks of Nottingham. When they got a new mower he got this one free, but didn't really use it much. I've used it a bit but now the Clinton engine is getting a bit unreliable. It cuts really nicely though. The Clinton engine is an all-aluminium engine which isn't easily rebuildable unfortunately. I'd like to replace it with a good engine so I'm searching around. It's a pity B&S don't make small all-iron engines anymore. So far it looks like the Honda is probably a good bet. I actually found some pictures of a Ransomes Marquis fitted with a Honda engine, so I know that they make an engine which fits the mountings.
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy

click on English button. Top right corner
Reply to
Swiv