Champion Air Compressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard a new noise in my old Champion air compressor on Saturday.....a clicking noise I assumed was a valve going south. Well this morning I confirmed that fact and did a search for Champion. I found Champion had been bought by Gardner Denver. I found a number for parts and called it. I got Cindy's voice mail and she returned my call in about ten minutes. I gave Cindy the numbers off my compressor knowing full well the chances of them carrying parts for such an old compressor were slim to none. She told me they no longer stock parts for the RE8 pump I have and it was last built in

1956. Cindy went on to tell me to call Phillips Air Compressor in Chicago, She said if any one had parts for my pump it would be them. I called them and low and behold Fred in parts had the Z100 valve set I needed. This compressor came with a 3hp 1750 motor which I swapped out for a 5hp 3450 using the same pulley bored to fit the larger motor and it has been running this way for 6-7 years, the last three on a daily basis. I have been using the old girl to supply air to my cnc plasma setup and it hasn't complained a bit. Other than a belt tightening and oil changes it just runs and runs. I couldn't stand to junk it out and I do have a 7.5 hp Speedair I use for sandblasting to back the old one up so I figured what the heck buy the valves, change the oil and treat it to a new belt to see how much more life I can get out of the old girl.

I wonder if any of the compressors built today will still be running in

2054?
Reply to
Steve Peterson

Steve,,,is your compressor a lightish green with very fine cooling fins on the top of the heads?

I brought one home last weekend that may also be a Champion. Its one Im not familar with. No tank..just the pump. Has a slight hitch when turning it over by hand..may be an issue with the centrifucal unloader. Ill dig into it in a couple weeks.

Gunner

Gunner

Light green yes, but the cooling fins are about an inch apart and the pump is mounted on top of a cast receiver tank. There is no mistaking the brand as Champion is cast into all the major parts. I think they were proud of it and rightly so. The model & serial tag are riveted on top of the unloader side of the crankcase. It just dawned on me I am putting more in parts than I paid for it seven years ago. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I had a similar experience with a wisconsin engine about 10 years ago. I had a 7hp engine that needed rings and a carb rebuild. Called Industrial Rebuild in Seattle and gave them the data from the ID plate on the engine. The guy tells me the engine was built in 1945 and that Wisconsin still stocks parts back to 1940 vintage engines. Industrial Rebuild had the rings, gaskets, and the carb rebuild kit in stock. I asked the guy how much to buy the equivalent Wisconsin engine today. He said about 1800 bucks. I told him it I thought that was a little steep. He said you have an engine that's 50 years old, seen who knows how many hours of use, and you are spending less than 50 bucks to repair it and you think 1800 is high? That's 36 bucks a year. I had to agree, 1800 was a good deal. Fortunately the dough I spent that day paid off. The engine gets many hours on it each summer running flat out. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow