Champion air compressor update

UPS dropped off the parts I needed for my Champion air compressor today and I went right to work installing the new valves. It was about a 20 minute job
and when I was done I spun it over by hand noting a hard spot in the rotation. I loosened the mounting bolts on a couple of valves until it freed up. I found one of the valves (exhaust on the high pressure cylinder) had a screw about .030 too long that was contacting the piston so I trimmed it up on my belt sander and reassembled it. It runs like it did before the broken valve with a slightly different sound to it. I am thinking the intake valve was leaking somewhat. Well, I will let you guys know when a rod flies out the side of the block or other catsassterfee happens. Phillips Air Compressor Inc. of Chicago has my nod of approval for having parts guys that knew what I needed without looking in the book and promptly shipping it.
--
Steve

Okay, but did you change the crankcase oil while you had it all apart? You have to do that every few years, or every hundred or so operating hours if used hard - they live much longer before spitting rods out the side of the crankcase or other nasty stuff when you do.
You aren't done yet - How's the V-belt? Does the motor have zerks or oil cups on the bearings that need grease/oil? Checked to make sure the safety pop-off valve will actually pop off? Do you have an easy to access tank drain ball valve instead of that stupid butterfly valve hidden way underneath that nobody bothers with?
(I have to pour a slab and start building the permanent doghouse outside the garage for my 5X80 vertical. Putting it outside makes the inside much quieter.)
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

Yep, Do that about four times a year.

The belt is going to run another year the way it looks. The motor is a newer permanently lubed bearing design. I pull the popoff to check it every oil change although I never have run the compressor to the 150 psi popoff limit. This old compressor has a nice brass needle valve for draining the tank. I try to do that once a week.

This compressor is noticeably quieter with the new valves installed. I still would like to route the air intake into the attic or outside as that is where most of the noise emanates. Although I didn't time it before repairs were made the pump up time is shorter than it was before the exhaust valve actually broke. Steve