venturi vacuum generator plans

Hi,
I have a sherline lathe and want to build a venturi vacuum generator, to be used with an air compressor. This will be
for vacuum bagging composites. Something like this:
http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id 82 or http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber952
Can I just drill a hole in a cylinder lengthwise, and another one perpendicular to it (or at an angle), drill and tap for the 1/4 NPT connections and be done, or is there more to it? What kind of hole diameters work best? Should the holes be tapered?
Thanks, Tom. http://www.TomEberhard.com

This should help: <http://www.motor-manufaktur.de/werkstatt/07_vacuum_pumpe/en_index.html>
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

IMHE, a venturi is the wrong way to make vacuum for vacuum bagging.
A venturi is most efficient when working with a large flow at higher pressures. It's not the right choice for pumping down to a vacuum (even when this is merely 1/2 an atmosphere) and when there's negligible flow. You also need to leave this pump running long term when the resin is curing, which is annoying with a venturi pump.
IMHO, find a different sort of pump. If the bag is reasonably sealed then a hand pump or a fridge compressor is perfectly adequate (don't leave the fridge compressor running permanently though).
"Andy Dingley" (clip) IMHO, find a different sort of pump. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with Andy. A great many woodturners use vacuum chucks, so the question of what is the best pump has been thoroughly discussed. These jet pumps require a large compressor. The compressor plus the pump is noisy and inefficient. Better to use a Gast vane pump or a compressor from an old refrigerator. It is also possible to adapt an automotive air conditioning compressor.
    --Search on the term "Hilsch vortex tube"
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Nihil curo de ista tua
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : stulta superstitione...

I remember you talking about this before. Do you know what kind of vacuum it pulls?

No, a Hilsch tube is a completely different animal.
A Hilsch tube takes compressed air in the middle and gives a stream of hot air out one end and a stream of cold air out the other.
No vacuum involved.
/*********************************************************************/
OpenPGP (gpg) signed messages get a free ride past my spam filters. Bumperstickers for your coffee cup: http://www.cupclings.com

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id 82
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber952
Pretty sure Nick Muller already did this and has the dimensions on his web site...maybe Don Foreman will post link....

Thanks, found it... http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox /
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/vacuum_venturi_sketch2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/venturi.txt
I just wanted something quick and cheap, but I'll look into the fridge compressor if I get my hands on one.
Thanks, Tom. http://www.TomEberhard.com

The Harbor Freight units usually go on sale for $10.....
i have several multistage venturi vacuum generators if interested 10 bucks apiece plus shipping

"Sacrifice the beer fridge" NO WAY! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
I did all my vacuum bagging of hull and rudders using a 2 stage Gast vacuum generator. I have no idea how to build one. I originally thought it was a cheap way to have a vacuum pump. By the time I assembled the whole contraption, "I could have had a V8".
Here's a pic: http://groups.msn.com/UH13p/toolsofthetrade.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoIDI
To minimize cycling of your compressor, you really need to incorporate a vacuum reservoir which means you need a tank, hi-flow check valve, gauge, vacuum switch, and solenoid valve. Basically the way it works is that you create vacuum in a tank and when you get to the desired vacuum, the solenoid valve shuts off the line to the air compressor. The check valve is so you don't loose the vacuum. As your vacuum bag inevitably leaks, the volume of the tank is enough to compensate and keep the vacuum. Eventually the vacuum drops below a specified level and then the vacuum air hose kicks in again. With the exception of when the air compressor runs, and when the vacuum generator runs, the system is completely silent. That makes it real easy to find leaks.
If I were to do it again ... I'd probably get a vane vacuum pump with good volume. Check out eBay.

BTW: When I did my hull I had a well sealed bag. As I recall, the generator ran about every 15 minutes and my 30gal compressor ran about every 50 minutes. Depending on how well your bag is sealed, your mileage may vary. I used construction adhesive for my bag sealant.

I once pulled down a small refrigerator with one of these. http://www.gemplers.com/a/pages/ttubedeflator.asp
Tom wrote:

Try Exair in Google