vacuum generator

Hi, has anyone built or better yet has plans or a web site on building your own vacuum generator used with a compressor. I would assume that they are a venturi.

Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric J. Comeau

Eric, As a start you might want to go to this site:

have and use one of their devices (CV series). It produces a very strong vacuum using a standard small air compressor. I use it to pull a vacuum in a clamp fixture (Vacuum Clamp). Yes it is a venturi principled device with no moving parts in the assembly.

HTH PJ

Reply to
PJ

I used to make them at my old job. Yes it works by using a venturi. I don't have the dimensions. I do have one that ended up in the scrap.

Mike H

Reply to
Mike H

I'm pretty sure they're just a special venturi too.

They sell them for air conditioning use. I personally have no experience using one, but have heard they're slow, and don't do as good a job as a real vacuum pump. Also heard if used a lot, can generate whopping electric bills due to excessive compressor run times.

Reply to
Erik

Why not use the intake port of the air compressor to create a vacuum?

That's what I do when I vacuum bag my composite layups.

I have a word doc somewhere if y'all are interested.

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

for my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Eric J. Comeau wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Expensive to operate, poor vacuum, and loud pretty much sums these up.

If you want a project to build, converting an old compressor or lawnmower engine (or V8, whatever suits your needs) into a vacuum pump is a heck of a lot better project. Or machine the whole thing up from raw stock, if that suits you better. You can also buy half-decent vacuum pumps surplus for not too much money.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Harbor Fright sells them for ablut $9

jk

Reply to
jk

I was been told by an air conditioning instructor that they work fine for very occasional use. Otherwise, the warnings about the electric bill on the compressor / compressor wear are valid.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Reply to