Any reason I should get this motor?

A guy I know has this old motor he's tossing, just wondering if there's any sense in getting it. It's a very old 1/2HP Westinghouse, open frame, either full brush or repulsion-induction.

Do these old clunkers have any collecting value? It's all black iron with cast oil cups. Probably would make a good mate for the Barnes lathe if I get it.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

The repulsion induction types are really really good at starting torque. The older ones seem to last forever. I use a 1/8 hp one for starting my rotary converter, it probably spends about

80 percent of its run time in 'start' mode, but seems to be holding up nicely.

Jim

jim rozen

Collectors value, hell. THey've already outlasted several newer ones, and can probably be expected to outlast a few more. 1/2 horse open frame, sounds like it could run continuous duty forever.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

It's FREE. Take it and get rid of it after a while if you don't use it. I bet, though, that two weeks after you pitch it you'll have a need for it.

Reply to
Hitch