what is this Dumore thing really?

I have a motor that currently has an arbor and a 4 inch buffing wheel on it - the motor is on a cast iron stand which houses a rheostat with a sliding lever - it is pretty old - looks like it's easily pre WWII - the motor says DUMORE type KB on it - screwed to the top of the motor is a chrome plated bracket with a vertical hole through it.

I am deeply suspicious that this was not originally a buffing machine - for one thing the vertical hole in the bracket makes no sense - I'm imagining that it might have been a flexible shaft grinder/tool like a foredom type tool but my attempts to search for DUMORE type KB have turned up nothing - so I turn to this agust body where someone is likely to have a hint or a pointer to what it really is.

I can take a photo and put it in the drop box if that would be helpful - but the thing is pretty unpretentions - the motor is a brush motor, a bit larger than a sewing machine motor, everything is painted black (the old shiny black, not wrinkle) and the Dumore label is aluminum with the numbers stamped into it - and there is some gold color in the DUMORE logo.

any ideas? links?

Reply to
William Noble

Does it look like it could have been meant for mounting on a lathe? Dumore did make some lathe attachments. Tool post grinder?

Steve Ackman

Toolpost grinder for a lathe .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

no, whatever it is, it is NOT a tool post grinder - it sits on a pedestal type base that houses the rheostat, the base has rubber feet, there is no means to mount to a tool post - whatever it originally was, it sat on a bench when doing its job. I thought there might be someone who had a "history of dumore stuff" type web site they had found that would help - I'll try to get a photo into the drop box in the next day or two unless someone can recognize what "type KB" might mean

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Sounds like a variation on this, From a 1924 catalog:

"Type D Dumore Universal Motor 1/8 Horse Power Type D is adapted to jewelers' and dentists' work and is efficient on general polishing and buff­mg. Finished in black enam­el. Equipment includes wheel arbor and emery wheel, tapered spindle,

8-foot cord and attachment plug, and a five-speed rheostat in base. Length, 5-5/16 inches, not including shaft extension of 1-1/64 inches on both ends. Shaft diameter, .375 inch tapered on ends. If desired, Ritter Chucks or 5/32-inch Goodell-Pratt Chucks may be used on this motor. Diameter of motor case, 4-3/8 inches. Measurement of base 5-1/4 inches. Net weight, 12-1/2 pounds. Shipping weight, 15 pounds. Price, each $27.50"

They made smaller, with only an arbor at one end.

A pic would help

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Heh , not the first time I've been wrong . I didn't know they made other types of buffer/grinder machines .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Dumore still exists, so a phone call could prove illuminating.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

yes, of course, I can email dumore - I prefer to try other means first though -

the shaft only comes out one side of the motor - if it didn't have an odd bracket on top, I would have felt it was just a jewler's buffer, like the example in the old catalog.

maybe it's time to email dumore.....

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

I've posted a photo to the dr Small Dumore device - what is the purpose of the chrome bracket? rule in foreground is 8 inches long label on device says Type KB Model B 5610 110V watts and RPM are blank

Arbor is Godell-Pratt

what was this originally?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Why don't you contact this guy and ask him?

snipped-for-privacy@dumorecorp.com

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thanks - email sent

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

They say a pic worth a thousand words. Next time, post the pic first. It's a 1/25 hp Universal Motor.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In the words of Dumore: "It is a bail for hanging from a trolley or hook."

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A dentist or a jeweller, would know one of those as a polishing lathe.

The chrome thing, could have been a mount for a shield. Or a light. Or it has nothing to do with either, and instead, was part of the maybe original use of the motor.

Goodal-Pratt made a wide variety of tools and measuring equipment. No telling if these two parts (the motor and arbor) started off together, but they are together now, eh?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

If it works, I be interested in purchase. I'm planning on mounting a Jacobs chuck on the shaft. Shaft size?

-M

Reply to
mlcorson