PING: Bottle Bob. You're famous!!

Lifted from an article in Hot Rod, July 2012 issue:

an interview with Larry Dixon

HRM: When was the last time you lined up with someone who truly intimidated you?

LD: Wow! You'd have to go back to driving an alcohol car or maybe my street car. There was a guy called Bottle Bob that ran around the Valley, and he might as well have been Don Garlits. If you ask anyone from that area and era about Bottle Bob, they'd know who I was talking about. I was thoroughly intimidated by him. He had an '82 Camaro with a big-block and nitrous. All his cars had big-blocks. You never asked to look at his motor because he wasn't going to show ya. I beat him once, and I felt like I beat Garlits.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve:

Yeah, I've been getting razzed about that from my ole street racing buds. = Larry got the engine in the Black '82 Camaro wrong. That one was a 355 sma= ll block and no Nitrous. I had just gotten the car back from Gail Banks wh= o installed dual turbos and did some trans mods like a 4,000 RPM stall conv= erter so the car would have virtually no turbo lag. The turbos and other w= ork cost 25k. But when I raced Larry with the car it wouldn't hook-up, it was like I was = driving on ice - while Larry was just driving away from me in that '55 Chev= y shown in the article, and putting carlengths between us like nobody's bus= iness. After I finally hooked up, Larry was probably out there 10-12 carle= ngths worth. I made up about half of them, but just ran out of track (stre= et). I paid-up good naturedly and said something like we should do this ag= ain sometime. Everybody was cracking up.

Groucho got banned from the HAMB for getting in Ryan's (the owner) face, BI= G TIME. I tried to smooth things over, but Ryan wasn't having any of it. About the only thread over there I was involved with was the Street Race St= ories thread. =20

Reply to
bottlbob

=A0Larry got the engine in the Black '82 Camaro wrong. =A0That one was a 3=

55 small block and no Nitrous. =A0I had just gotten the car back from Gail = Banks who installed dual turbos and did some trans mods like a 4,000 RPM st= all converter so the car would have virtually no turbo lag. =A0The turbos a= nd other work cost 25k.

s driving on ice - while Larry was just driving away from me in that '55 Ch= evy shown in the article, and putting carlengths between us like nobody's b= usiness. =A0After I finally hooked up, Larry was probably out there 10-12 c= arlengths worth. =A0I made up about half of them, but just ran out of track= (street). =A0I paid-up good naturedly and said something like we should do= this again sometime. =A0Everybody was cracking up.

BIG TIME. =A0I tried to smooth things over, but Ryan wasn't having any of i= t.

Stories thread.

Nice recognition Bob, Congratulations!

And to think you achieved this all on Cooley wages...

Reply to
No Joe

And cheep Chinese vises.

Reply to
brewertr

uds. =A0Larry got the engine in the Black '82 Camaro wrong. =A0That one was= a 355 small block and no Nitrous. =A0I had just gotten the car back from G= ail Banks who installed dual turbos and did some trans mods like a 4,000 RP= M stall converter so the car would have virtually no turbo lag. =A0The turb= os and other work cost 25k.

I was driving on ice - while Larry was just driving away from me in that '5=

5 Chevy shown in the article, and putting carlengths between us like nobody= 's business. =A0After I finally hooked up, Larry was probably out there 10-= 12 carlengths worth. =A0I made up about half of them, but just ran out of t= rack (street). =A0I paid-up good naturedly and said something like we shoul= d do this again sometime. =A0Everybody was cracking up.

ce, BIG TIME. =A0I tried to smooth things over, but Ryan wasn't having any = of it.

ace Stories thread.

Dear, dear, Jon, daft Jon,

He was making a joke at your expense and seemingly a bit too subtle for you grasp.

Reply to
brewertr

What was the cause of your debilitating brain injury, accident, drugs, alcohol, severe beating from disgruntled employer?

Reply to
brewertr

You brought it up because you're an Ass Jon, you have no shame and lack social skills.

Unfortunately the original joke was too subtle and you too daft Jon to understand. Surprising to me that you're a bigger Dumb-Ass than even I thought.

The jokes were about you Jon, had nothing to do with Bob other than us quoting insults you use towards him.

To you Bob, I am sorry, I am sorry for my part in this. I would never have made that innocent joke had I known the despicable turn it would take. I am sorry I misjudged how dumb Jon can be and how vindictive Jon can be towards people he feels inferior to.

Sincerely, Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Him not getting it makes it even funnier.

DanP

Reply to
DanP

So you're blaming me because you have no shame and lack social skills.

Well that's Jon "Bunko" Banquer for ya.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

No misrepresentation on our part, our statements/jokes had NOTHING to do with Bob you idiot. We were quoting YOU JON, it was a joke at your expense that you're just too damn daft to understand.

Yep, just as I thought, jokes continue to go right over your head, an instance where we underestimated the level of your stupidity, lack shame and social skills.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

I did underestimate the depth of your depravity and lack of intelligence.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:11:59 AM UTC-7, brewertr wrote:

=20

Tom:

I appreciate your concern that you thought I may have been hurt over = this. That's a sign of true empathy. But don't give it a second's thought= . It's a nothing in this case, as you'll see. =20

Let me go through a little autobio sketch of the relevant years to cle= ar up any misconceptions.

I first started street racing when I was a formal 4 year Tool & Die Ap= prentice, from about 1974-1978. That's when I bought my Brown '68 Corvette and the '72 White Trans-AM. Now= the wages I got while an apprentice weren't just Coolie wages... but Uber = Coolie wages. I believe I was getting like around $8.00 per hour at the EN= D of my apprenticeship.=20 The tool & die shop was having financial problems right after the end= of the apprenticeship and had to lay off both apprentices, another person = and myself.

I then went to work for W&F Manufacturing in Burbank as a Die maker/ma= chinist. I stayed there till 1983, I was getting $13.25/hr. at the end. C= oolie Wages MINUS $10.00 per hour. Now THESE were the days when my BottleBob moniker and reputation was s= olidified as far as street racing in the San Fernando Valley goes. I used = to keep a log book of all my races (since been lost), but I had about 300 r= aces with that '68 Vette and lost about 50. These were the low bucks years= , where I as much of my own work as I could. Ported my own cast iron heads= in my garage, I had a buddy from Slover's porting service come over and s= how me where the material had to be removed for best effect. I also used t= o set up my own rear ends on the vise at the bench, shimming and reshimming= to get it perfect. Made my own custom Nitrous units that put out more HP = than the commercial units of the day. I massaged my 850 Holley carb by tak= ing the throttle butterflies to work and surface grinding them down to pota= to chip thickness. Heck, I burned some pistons in one bank of the engine, = and I had some used 13 to 1 pistons that someone gave me, and took those to= work and milled the tops down to roughly 11 to 1 and stuck them in the eng= ine. I KNEW they were 24 grams heavier than the stock pistons but I wanted= to race BAD the coming weekend so put them in anyway. The engine had a te= rrible vibration over 6,000 RPM, but I just short shifted through all the g= ears and hoped I wouldn't have to scream the engine in 4th gear to win. Th= at engine lasted for MONTHS. There was NO drug dealing involved in this t= ime period or any outside income at all. Fran, my wife, did a little baby = sitting now and then but that was barely enough to keep her in cigarettes. = LOL I was so well known by this time (1983), that it was starting to get r= eal hard to get a race, without having to set someone out 5-8 car-lengths. = Everybody knew me and my car. =20 Now we come to the juicy part. I had been using using prescription amp= hetamines for over a decade. The writing was on the wall though, that the = Feds were cracking down on doctors who wrote scrips for uppers. So what I = did on the weekends when I wasn't working on my cars, was I was going down = to UCLA and researching in their chemistry library on how to make amphetami= nes from scratch. I did this for about two years (1981-1983) until I thoug= ht I had enough information to give it a try. Bought some glassware, impor= ted some Ma Huag (Chinese plant that contains ephedrine), and got to extrac= ting and synthesizing. I was only making enough for personal use, but happened to show a frie= nd what I had made. He asked for some, and I gave him a little bit. He ca= me back the next day and wanted an ounce. I said WHOA, I'm not selling thi= s and besides I'm not set up for making that much. He said he'd buy everyt= hing I could produce. So I quit my machinist job and went into the pharmac= eutical business. After a couple of scale ups in glassware I was making po= unds. I didn't street race for awhile, too busy. Then I bought a co-owners= hip of High-Tech Automotive, bought a metalizing (kinda like plating) busin= ess, bought a co-ownership in a body shop, and bought into a Corvette acces= sory business. I eventually bought a couple of '82 Camaros, a '67 Vette, a= smallblock tubbed Vega, a Red '69 Vette with flaired wheelwells, an El-Cam= ino tow truck and a car trailer, and bought an '84 Vette for transportation= . I rented the building next to High-Tech Automotive and hired Groucho at = $1,000 a week to keep all my street cars in running condition.=20

So I hope that clears up any questions anyone may have had. LOL

Oh, here's one funny little tid-bit. I had some spare cash laying ar= ound so I decided to buy some silver ingots for an investment. So I gave G= roucho my .357 Magnum as a sort of bodyguard, and we went to the silver & g= old store. A briefcase full of 100's got me $50,000 worth of silver ingots= . Which when loaded in the back of my '84 Vette scrunched down the rear ab= out 3-4 inches worth. :)

Ya gotta LIVE life while ya have the chance.=20

--=20 BottleBob

=20

=20

Reply to
bottlbob

rt over this. =A0That's a sign > of true empathy. =A0But don't give it a se= cond's thought. =A0It's a nothing in this case, as you'll

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
brewertr

"brewertr" wrote

Douschebag.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Turd

Reply to
brewertr

BottleBob and/or anyone else interested...

On the nitrous oxide injection, it is metered and controlled for a certain ratio mixture? Or just dump in the nitrous oxide, the more the better?

What kind of car would be good for a hot-rod these days without being a high Insurance $$$ sport car? I think it would be fun to put together a somewhat ordinary looking car that would outrun most factory autos. Don't know what cars these days could fit a V8 and handle the power other than sport cars.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger:

How's it going Roger? Haven't talked to you in AGES. You seem to be just cruising along without that pancreas. LOL

Simply put, Nitrous Oxide alone just adds extra oxygen. You have to add extra fuel to make more horsepower. Here are a couple of sites on Nitrous.

What's the best car for a hot rod? Too many variables and personal preferences for a definitive answer. But you've got to realize that an extra

100 HP from a commercial Nitrous kit isn't going to make a rocket-ship out of a slug.

How much time and money are you willing to put into this hobby? What do you want to accomplish - stoplight jousting? Money street racing? Top end blasts? Nitrous only lasts so long. If it's just excitement you want, may I suggest getting a Kawasaki ZZR

1400 and putting Nitrous on THAT. LOL

-- BottleBob

bottlbob

Duh !

Reply to
brewertr

I guess they're optional! I read posts here but don't post much on CNC anymore. I've been an electrical tech at Continental Tire going on 10 years this September. I get discount on tires and I need something to smoke them.

My main interest is building a good engine, have to do some research to see what's the best bang for the buck on performance. Haven't really picked out a preferred engine yet either, will probably compare what I could get out of a big block versus a small block. I would like it to hold it's own without nitrous, would it be difficult to get greater than stock sport car performance? Could I get much of an engine for $2000, $5000 or $??. I thought the Edelbrock matched performance kits looked interesting but I haven't looked for years.

Not street racing for money, the engine build would be the fun part for me. I guess there are trade offs everywhere, maximum horsepower probably means minimum engine life... Maybe something like 500HP in a Monte Carlo or something like that. Not sure what cars from the 90's could accommodate a V-8, since 1985 I've had mostly 4 cylinders with a couple of full size 4X4 pickups.

I think I'm getting too old for that much excitement! Don't think I ever was young enough for that much excitement! I probably wouldn't have lived to be this old...

Good to hear from you!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger:

So it would appear. =20

I wouldn't worry about that, neither does anyone else in here.=20

My preference in engines back in the day was 454 4 bolt main Big Bloc= ks. They have more lower end "beef" to take size large amounts of Horsepow= er. Strictly speaking Nitrous makes torque and you don't HAVE to wind an e= ngine tight (like over 7,000 RPM), to make a lot of Horsepower. It's high = revs that can kill a motor fast. =20

You pretty much got that right. LOL

You want the lightest vehicle possible. For every 100# of weight lo= ss from the average car, you knock about .1 of a second off your 1/4 mile E= T.

Also you've got to realize there are other hidden expenses to high-p= erformance street cruising... Tickets, points on your license, getting your= car impounded, having to make bail, possible accidents and resulting insur= ance rate increases, to say nothing of the wear & tear on the drivetrain pa= rts of the vehicle.

I know you said you're not looking to street race for money, but let = me point you to a thread in the H.A.M.B. that I started called Street Race = Stories. It can show you a part of what you're getting into. In the thread I outline some of the basic engine and performance idea= s that I implemented. Others made some significant contributions as well. = But mainly it's what the title suggests... Street Race Stories. Perhaps y= ou can live vicariously through the stories and not HAVE to spend the time = and money yourself. LOL

=20

I've had a few bikes, and you're right, *I'm* lucky to still even b= e alive! :) =20

Same here!!

-- BottleBob

BottleBob