How do I ........

No need to flush with water as oxygen is not combustible,once the valve is out all is OK. Have never done this with a tank but I don't think you would have a problem with a bandsaw. If I were doing this, my choice would be a chop saw. Mind you, I use my chop saw for nearly everything. I use OA now for heating and bending only.

Rick

Reply to
Sick&Tired

I would let oxygen out, and then cut with O/A or plasma. (I recall you talking about plasmacam etc)

A hole or two drilled with a drill, should also be enough to discourage use of this cylinder.

Ignoramus4763

Cut off the base of an old oxygen cylinder that I can't get anyone to take in on trade? It's 10 years out of hydro, but when I got it, it had pressure. It's empty now, but I closed the valve. It should not have any water or corrosion in it.

My first thought was to put it on my puny band saw, but I wonder how many blades it would take. My second thought was to get the valve out with a big pipe wrench, flush it with water, then OA cut it.

Anyone done this?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

SteveB wrote: (...)

Why the heck not?

I bought an out - of - hydro helium cylinder off eBay a few years ago and took it to a random supply shop that happened to be on the way. Paid for the hydro and gas; walked out of there with a full bottle.

The shop owner didn't need to see any paperwork or anything. It was the first time I'd been there in years and the whole transaction took maybe 10 minutes. No big deal.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My last chop saw was stolen, and if I could find the guy, I'd send him a Christmas card! I bought a band saw, and like it so much better. But then, I don't do lots and lots and lots of ornamental metal like I usta. But I do like the band saw so much better. If I had to do lots of tubing, I'd spring for a cold saw now.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm kinda stuck with it. I can't get anyone to take it in and exchange it for another one. I do have the bill of sale, but ........

Only thing I could do is take it to San Diego with me on Thursday, but I very much doubt that anyone there would exchange it without me not living there and not having an account.

I got such a good deal on a heap of welding equipment I got for $300, including a SA200, that I can't gripe.

I think I'll use it for my propane cannon for New Year and 4th of July. Hope it doesn't cause too many problems .............

I saw one the other day that had the bottom cut out, and was hanging on a frame. It made a passable bell. Maybe I'll just use it for a bell 363 days out of the year.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I went through this a few weeks ago. This is OK for small cylinders. For larger ones that have a permanent embossing on the collar on top, these are supplier owned rentals and can only be exchanged at that supplier. I bought four tanks of this sort and was lucky to be able to transfer lease to myself, so I will be stuck with this supplier but won't need to pay deposit. This looks like at least a half decent guy and not an asshole.

Reply to
Ignoramus4763

Ignoramus4763 wrote: (...)

Ah.

I thought we were talking about 'owner' bottles.

Meanwhile do you have any recourse to the guy that sold you someone else's property?

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about that seems well, sleazy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It was his property. I believe that he owned those bottles, that is my understanding. I am sorry that I was unclear. The seller owned those bottles, not I own them, but ownership is kind of limited here since I can only exchange it at one company.

I think that the whole scheme of these "exchange only at one place" bottles is sleazy.

Reply to
Ignoramus4763

Is this one of the ones with the nice dome in the bottom? There are smiths and armourers out there that actively look for those, cut at maybe 4 to 6" from the bottom, to make swages out of. Maybe weld a few tabs around the perimeter to mount it to a bench and throw it up on eBay... assuming you don't have a use for one.

As to how, I usually grab a grinder with a cut-off wheel for anything that won't fit in the bandsaw... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Try starting a cut with a sawzall and if it cuts ok then use the band saw. I think the blades would be of similar capabilities. I've seen some very nice bells made out of old tanks.

Reply to
AndrewV

SteveB wrote: (...)

Or better yet, make up some pudding in small servings and deliver them with a 'thank you' note.

(...)

I started a spreadsheet of the various vendors I work with. After making a purchase, I update the sheet with ratings in two categories, then I sort the sheet so that high - rated vendors get a much larger amount of my cash and the folks who were unacceptably sleazy get no more of my cash. It has worked very well and everyone I come into contact with appears very pleased with the results.

Ya done good.

Good! Perhaps you could bring him a 'thank you' gift, too. (See above)

Can't expect better than that.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yeah. I know where the old geezer lives. He's 86, and he's legally blind. He has those big red spots on his arms where he gets bruised easy if he bumps anything. He's got grey hair. His eyes are cloudy from welding too much. When I asked him if the bottles were leased or his own, he said they were his own. He gave me a signed bill of sale. He owns a big house, and don't see him leaving town any time soon if the bottle police show up.

I guess I should go and beat him up tomorrow.

As I said, I got a good running SA200 and a ton of tools and welding "stuff". Maybe I should give him a second beating because the o rings on the welding tips were dry rotted, too.

On second thought ..........

I have far more issue with a company who wouldn't move an inch to accommodate me and get me into replacement bottles, even when I could show them a bill of sale, and have spent $3,000 with them through my account. They sure won't get that much next year.

I took a picture of the freshly painted SA200 to him. He held it close to his eyes and looked at it. He smiled and said, "The old gal looks nice."

I'll keep your thought on file. He only lives about five miles away. I could always go tell him what I think of him.

If I change my mind, that is. Until then, he's just an old welder who gave me a deal and told me the story as best he knew it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Tanks are getting to be a hassle...

Finding out if a second hand tank was really sold, without an original title, is near impossible. That doesn't mean that the tank is worthless though.

If your supplier knows that tank rentals to you will NEVER HAPPEN, he might then allow payment for testing and treat the tank as "customer owned" or he may give consideration against a lifetime lease.

In my case I own 8 and lifetime lease the rest. Praxair (Linde/Union Carbide et al.) will buy my cylinders for half market price, they retain ownership of the leased cylinders (and trust me not to skip town or sell them).

They, and I, have the anniversary of mine and bill me for re-cert, I'm fine with that, but they did lose some folks to Airgas and Liquid Air when they started that policy about 8 years ago.

My 4 plain collar and 4 Linde collar tanks are now somewhere in their system but I still retain ownership and they assume liability (like railroad cars).

It really is the "rental thing" that these local stores make out on in gas sales. I'm old enough to remember $1 per month rentals to good customers. When the rates went up in the early 80s around here most of the larger customers (exchanging 50 or more tanks/month) would call the supplier and say "send someone to pick up the rental check and take back the tanks"....OH-OH plan "B"...hence to many pay NO RENTAL!!!!

I guess the point of all this is to find "a partner" who will work with you (best price is not needed) and knows that if you're not competitive he gets no sales and everyones' pie shrinks... No partner no SALE.

I get some very strange looks when I say NO SALE either as a seller or buyer...(kinda like it's something personal?). BTW I try to never explain why I say NO SALE, the transaction/conversation is just over.

Don't get me started on contracts.... BooHoo...

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

"SteveB" wrote: (clip) My second thought was to get the valve out with a big

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you open the valve, the worst case is it is full of nearly pure oxygen at atmospheric pressure. I would cut it with oxy/acet. What will happen? You will be blowing oxygen INTO the tank. If you drill a hole first, the cut will be easier to start.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman