how to get rid of post-welding smell

Hi all,
I've bought a welded aluminum cap for my truck, and I noticed
a fairly strong manufacturing smell. Aluminum itself has no smell
of course, so I guess this is left over from welding. I am wondering
if there is a standard way to clean welded aluminum to remove
any scents or toxic residues.
Thank for any help.
Reply to
Spiffy
It is highly unlikely that you're smelling anything due to welding. Most likely what you're smelling is outgassing from the solvents used in the adhesive which attaches the rubber seals to the shell. That'll stop in a few months.
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman
It's definitely a metallic smell. I sniffed the rubber pads and it's different--not entirely different, though. I suspect the rubber is a component.
Could this smell be due to the flux used?
Reply to
Spiffy
Flux is only used to gas torch weld aluminum. I very seriously doubt that's how the cap was welded (normally it would be MIG or TIG welded). One other possibility, however, is the lubricant used when forming the pieces. That may not have been thoroughly cleaned off, and does have a pronounced odor.
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman