EBC bearings any good?

Hi all,

After Charles's suggestion of trying eBay for bearings for my rock tumbler, I tracked down these 0.5" pillow block bearings:

He says they're made by EBC and S&H for four will be $27 surface mail to England. Looks like a pretty good deal and not much over the £20 I wanted to spend. They aren't self-aligning but I'm not sure I really need it. What do people think? Are EBC okay?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris - Caution - we tend to pay rather more in =A3=A3=A3 than our US friends pay in $$$, once customs and VAT kick in. You will have to pay their charges, plus a "handling charge" by Parcelforce or whatever. You will also have to visit the depot to pick up your package. I speak from bitter, bitter experience.

All the best, Charles

Reply to
charadam

Thanks for the warning. I got caught out like this before when I bought a special cast iron handwheel from the States. The cost of the bearings is actually under the £18 limit, so I shouldn't have to pay any duty or handling charges, but I'm still tempted to look for a neater solution. Especially since the pillow blocks are 5" long.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Had you seen these?

Charles

Reply to
charadam

Yes, unfortunately they're too big. I need something around the 0.5" mark. Also the pillow blocks can't afford to be too long, or I won't be able to position the shafts close enough together. What I really need is a bearing fitted inside an eye bolt, or a bronze bush inside a rod end, something like that. I'll figure something out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy