Anyone got a spare chuck with 5/8" x 16 thread?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Jacobs chuck to suit my Hougen mag drill. Unfortunately it has to have a 5/8" x 16 female thread to fit the Hougen adaptor. Hougen want big money for the chuck, so I wondered if someone might have a chuck lying in their parts box which they'd be willing to sell? I'm looking for a chuck with either a 1/2" or 5/8" capacity, preferably a genuine Jacobs, and in good functional condition (no major wear). The chuck would need to be sent to England and I can probably only pay with PayPal if you're abroad. Alternatively, I am always keen to swap for Stuff, as Gunner would say!

Let me know if you have anything...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hi Chris,

No spares, but Enco has them here in the USA and they claim to ship/sell Internationally. Not terribly bad for a Jacobs Chuck, $71.75 ea (shrug) At least this will give you a part number to work with...

5/64-1/2W5/8-16 33-5/8 MEDIUM DUTY DRILL CHUCK

Type: Medium-Duty Thread Mounted Chuck Maximum Capacity (Inch): 1/2 Maximum Capacity (Decimal Inch): .5000" Maximum Capacity (mm): 13mm Minimum Capacity (Decimal Inch): .0800" Minimum Capacity (mm): 2mm Key Size: K32 Mount: 5/8-16 Style: Plain Bearing Manufacturer Part Number: 6289

See:

They also have two more Rohm Chucks that should work also. See for a list:

Leon Fisk

Thanks for the information, Leon. Still pricey but less than half the $150.00 Hougen want for that chuck. I've also found the 5/8" chuck for £45.66 at

with free delivery in the UK. I think £45.66 is about the same as $71.75. It's a bit more than I want to spend but I might have to go for it and make some economies elsewhere. The

1/2" chuck is about £12 cheaper, but I'm inclined to go for the 5/8" as it probably won't fit anything else. With shipping and duty the Roehm chuck from Enco is likely to be close to the cost of the Jacobs. I've done a quick search for Roehm chucks in the UK without success. Does anyone have strong opinions on Roehm, though?

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Over here it's spelled Rohm (IRRC). They are not as good as a Jacobs in my experience. I have some older ones that aren't bad but the last one I bought I wasn't impressed with. I think they do make some near the quality of the Jacobs but not all of them. On the other hand they're better than the cheap imports.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Thanks for the opinion, Wayne. I spelled the name "Roehm" because their logo seems to use an umlaut (two dots) over the "o". So I guessed it was a German name with an umlaut and used the common substitution "oe". Maybe it's officially spelled "Rohm" in the US, just like name "Braun" (of Braun appliances) isn't pronounced "Brown" in the UK. Who knows? It doesn't matter. Anyway, it looks like the cost of importing a Rohm chuck will be about the same as the cost of buying a Jacobs in the UK. Looks like I should save up and buy the Jacobs.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That would be my recommendation. They do make a really nice keyless chuck for cordless hammer drills. It's the only keyless chuck I've ever seen that worked half way decent for that application. I've seen them as OEM on some of the high end DeWalt cordless hammer drills. But I've never found any for sale here in the states without the drill. When I searched the only places I found selling them where in the UK.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I agree with Wayne. The ones I recall using worked okay. They were on small portable drills, probably 3/8 inch. I don't recall any problems with breakage or such. I have busted some other off-name chucks though...

Here is a link to Rohm's website:

It looks like they are an international company. You could always send them an email and ask about UK suppliers. It would be considerable less expensive and at least get your machine running.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I just shopped around and scored the exact chuck I wanted on eBay, as new:

I hope it all turns out okay, because at $10.50 plus $12.00 shipping to England it looks like a great deal compared to the $71 or so at Enco.

I'm happy :-D.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Great. Looks like a super score to me.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Indeed. It gets better too: the seller e-mailed me this morning to say he could do international delivery cheaper, so the total is $20.60. My personal score of the year I think.

Thanks for the advice about selecting a chuck.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy