Cameron Micro Drill Chuck

I recently inherited a Cameron Micro Drill Press Model 164. It has an Albre= cht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use = a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or m= aybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless. =20

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea wh= ere to get the chuck I need? =20

Thanks.

Reply to
Berties Miniatures

0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

to get the chuck I need?

I just got one of them too- it's a nifty little machine.

Call the people at cameron. They're friendly, have the chucks and can explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the bearings.

cameronmicrodrillpress.com

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

to get the chuck I need?

Why don't you ask Cameron? Personally, I would buy a larger drill press, instead of modifying my $1000 precision drill press.

Michael A. Terrell

n Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to= be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32&quot= ; key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks. I don't want to modify the drill press only change the chucks if it= is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a = used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not= sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.

Reply to
Berties Miniatures

n Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to= be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32&quot= ; key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless. =20

idea where to get the chuck I need? =20

explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the=20

nifty it is! I mainly want to use it as a pin router with micro end mills = and cutters for making duplicated items in wood and light metal.

Reply to
Berties Miniatures

Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

where to get the chuck I need?

possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what they want for a new chuck.

You said that you have a 0-1/8" keyless chuck, which is standard on that drill. That is what is on the one I have. I beleive that Gunner had a couple small chucks for sale, but that was a year or so ago.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

164. It has an Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I= 'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jaco= bs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless= .

have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

hucks if it is possible. I need 1/8" capacity instead of 1/16" I= 'm looking to find a used chuck that would work at reasonable price. I= will ask Cameron but not sure if I'll be able to afford to pay what th= ey want for a new chuck.

Thanks. I did say I had a 0 to 1/8" but I meant to say I had the 0 to 1/16= ". I need the 1/8 or 5/32.

Reply to
Berties Miniatures

They are very nice drills. Make sure to lube them frequently, because they are bronze sleeve bearings instead of ball or roller bearings, and will wear loose fairly quickly with no (or improper) lube.

Mine came with a 0-1/8" Albrecht, as did one I used at work. I needed the larger grip at work, and swapped a Jacobs keyed chuck from a "sensitive drill adaptor" (sliding fit in a 1/2" shank, with a spring return and a driving key inside it, with a ball bearing mounted ring to grip to pull it down) years ago.

IIRC, it is JT0 -- but the easy way to tell is to pop the Albrecht chuck off the spindle and you will find the size stamped in the end of the chuck's Jacobs taper collar. Since you are planning to swap in a larger chuck, there is no point to not taking it off at some point anyway.

Beware the switch burning up if switched under higher loads. The switch is too small for what it is handling. Also, higher loads in the "low speed" switch position will get the built-in series resistor quite hot. Better to do what I have done with mine -- never used the "low" speed position, and use a Dremel style speed control to change the speed.

Is yours new enough to have the clear plastic belt guard on it? Mine came without one, and yes, I did get my little finger caught in it once, trying to stabilize the drill press when I was using it where I could not bolt it down.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Oh! You have a 1/16" chuck. You said above 1/8" for both what it had and one of the options to switch in. Yes, 1/8" Albrecht is standard on some of them, including mine, and the one I got at work. I suspect that the 1/16" was a special order.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

where to get the chuck I need?

explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the

Expect trouble with using any side loading cutter like that with any Jacobs taper. You need something with a drawbar to avoid having the chuck (whatever size) vibrate loose from the spindle's taper.

And swapping in a different spindle is asking for trouble, because the spindle is a superfinished steel running in bronze sleeve bearings, and anything you swap in will probably chew up the bearings.

*Please* don't do this to this nice drill press. I would not do it to mine, and I got mine *new* back when I could get it for $150.00 :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Does anyone know if the shaft chuck taper is JO or a J1 or have any idea where to get the chuck I need?

Thanks.

My Jacobs #0 will barely take a 3/16" bit, with effort. #13 fits without forcing it. The arbor is 0JT.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

idea where to get the chuck I need?

explain how to take the thing apart and not destroy the

they sell hollow spindles. I'm not sure if they suggest a factory install for this option though.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

where to get the chuck I need?

Nice website.

Simi-Automated??

Reply to
Steve Walker

Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to use a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or maybe and Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

where to get the chuck I need?

You'll have to ask them. I found that link last year when I bought my Cameron at an estate sale. I had to track down some parts and found the OEM website.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

recht 0-1/8" Keyless chuck and it works great but I'd like to be able to us= e a little larger bits so I think I need a Jacobs 0-5/32" key type chuck or= maybe and =A0 =A0Albrecht 0-1/8" Keyless.

where to get the chuck I need?

MSC Manhattan Supply Corp has Jacobs, Albrecht, and import models of drill chucks.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Jim - did you ever check the accuracy of the 0JT chuck you got from victornet.com? And if you did, what were the results?

Hul

Reply to
dbr

I bought mine locally, that's just a reference.

I haven't checked it because none of my 50+ year old machine tools run perfectly true.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins