Micro-Mark variable speed drill press

Have one of the above and just got off the phone complaining to Micro-Mark about the drive belts for the unit. Got mine in June, 2004, I'm on my third drive belt and the last one didn't last more than 10 minutes. Okay it was defective, but the one that came with the unit didn't last more than a few weeks. After that I checked the tension adjusting mechanism and the belt tension cannot be decreased any further. The belts are just lousy IMO and they all break cleanly where ends are apparently glued or fused together. Has anyone else had belt problems with this drill press?

Ordered replacements from McMaster Carr for less than half the price. Hope they fare much better.

Reply to
oparr

--FWIW check out an alternative called the Cameron Micro Drill press; very nice. I've had mine since the '70s; very reliable..

Reply to
steamer

I already have one (Cameron MD-70 deep throat). The Micro-Mark (1/4" chuck,

5,000 RPM variable speed, digital depth gauge) can do things the Cameron (1/8" precision chuck, 30,000 RPM) can't and vice versa. Need both. Furthermore, a good belt for the Micro-Mark from MMC costs only $2.65, got four of them today.
Reply to
oparr

Are you sure the two pulleys are lined up? Also, you want moderate tension--not too much and not too little either.

Reply to
AL

Yes. That was the second thing I checked after the first belt went.

There is too much tension IMO but the pulleys cannot be brought any closer. However, if the belts were made properly there wouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
oparr

So have I -- but the price for the drill press has made an astronomical jump since then. :-)

I discovered that the belt for the Singer 221B portable sewing machine also fits the Cameron. So -- I have a spare for the drill press, and one for the sewing machine, and so far have not needed either. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols