Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" Chuck

I Picked up a used Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" chuck. Seems to operate very smoothly, but if you close it down to near 1/8", the jaws become slack. An internal acme type threaded screw moves the jaws in and out, and when the chuck is set to less than about 0.135", it reaches the end of it's engagement. It's easy to reengage the screw, and it works fine on larger diameters, but this seems wrong. Is this normal for this chuck? I have a 1/32" to 1/2" Albrecht and it does not have this issue with drills below it's minimum, ie the jaw screw does not disengage at it's min diam. setting. Can it be adjusted or is the screw damaged?

Reply to
oldjag

It's because it's a METRIC 1/8"

Reply to
Buerste

I thought the metric 1/8" was 118 thou...

:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It should not be.

Is it possible that someone re-ground the jaws' mating surfaces to deal with wear, and this results in them extending too far out? Perhaps even someone put jaws for a 1/2" chuck in the 5/8" one?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

it does not have