Keyless Chuck on Threaded Spindle?

Anyone have a good, tried and tested source for a keyless chuck that will mount on a threaded spindle (any thread) and can be run at 6,000+ RPM without causing vibrations, etc?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Multiple Spindle Drills:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

According to Joe AutoDrill :

After seeing who posted this, I realize that the question is serious.

How big a grip does it need? I would be tempted to go for an adaptor from threaded to Jacobs taper for one of the 1/8" (3mm) Albrecht chucks. But I really would not trust threaded chucks to be truly on center -- unless it also includes a register diameter. I guess that you need threaded to handle side loads or vibration from a burr so it doesn't come off and fly around the room.

I've gotten a *used* threaded clone of an Albrecht -- perhaps a Rohm. I needed that to adapt to a really old hand held electric drill which expected a *male* thread on the chuck, instead of today's ubiquitous female thread. (I had to machine up an adaptor, of course.)

O.K. I've just visited the Albrecht web site, and looking at the chucks available, they still make threaded back chucks. And they are rated for maximum RPM.

Cap RPM Thread ========================================

1/8" 7500 5/16 - 24 3/16" 5000 5/16 - 24

There are others, but as you can see, nothing above 1/8" capacity will handle the RPM you need. I hope that 1/8" capacity is enough for your needs.

The information is on (watch out for line length wrap):

or -- you could simply go to:

and navigate to there as I did.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

LOL...

We needed to hold a .140" round shank tool with .001" or less runout presuming the spindle is perfect (right...)

I talked the customer into doing it a bit differently. I REALLY wanted to stick with an ER20 spindle but they REALLY wanted a removable chuck... So I put a 1/2" collet in my ER20 spindle, put a J33 keyless chuck on a J33 to

1/2" arbor and made it removable. :)

It's a bit longer, but it gives them the option to adjust the runout with the set screws in my ER20 spindles if necessary or simply switch to an ER20 collet if they want something shorter.

Kudos. Was it worth the effort to save the hand held electric drill rather than buy a new one though? Seems like a lot of enjoyable hobby work at best and a lot of time spent at worst.

We found a source for J33 keyless at around $30 a piece here in the states... Couldn't tell you the brand without running to the shop, but they seem to have excellent quality which amazed me. We were selling them to woodworking folks only until we noticed just how good they actually were.

Close, but no success... Thank you for the investigation though!

Thank you for the well wishes AND the reply. As I said, we found a work around that gives them the flexibility they need... Not the best answer, but it allows me to divert them back to the standard spindle set-up which makes me much happier.

Everyone loves a key-type or keyless chuck until the jaws get damaged... Then they wish they could replace it as inexpensively as a nice, accurate collet.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Multiple Spindle Drills:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

According to Joe AutoDrill :

Oops! A bit larger than the Albrecht which can handle your

6000+ RPM. The 3/16" would go up to 0.1875", but they stop at 5000 RPM according to the Albrecht web site.

O.K. Were you able to look up the RPM specs on that chuck? I'll bet that they don't promise to handle 6000+ RPM.

O.K.

Well ... the electric drill, while it was a Black & Decker, was old enough to have a lot more metal, and a lot less plastic than the current ones. I've had that one since perhaps around 1957 or so. :-)

That sounds like a nice deal. I've got one Jacobs 1/2" keyless which feels prety much as good as an Albrecht -- but the new price is no better. :-)

It was worth a try. I think that the same speed limitations apply to the taper back chucks as well as to the threaded ones, so be careful with your high speeds.

Understood.

:-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm not sure why I wrote 6000 RPM... Maybe because that is what the chart says to drill at. Oops for me now.

However, they are actually going at around 3500 RPM which solves a bunch pf other issues...

We run them at 6000-7000 RPM... But on a much heavier spindle... Hopefully, no problems.

Ok. That makes sense... Saving old equipment from the dump is usually a very cool thing.

CLIP

I'll stand back - and take video. :)

If we weren't so busy, I'd promise to report back with a status update in a few weeks... But if someone is curious enough, they can reply later on and I'll see the "red" message and reply.

CLIP

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Multiple Spindle Drills:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

According to Joe AutoDrill :

[ ... ]

Good!

Hopefully.

It was one which was single speed when I got it, and after a few years of ownership, I saw some variable-speed switches for them at a flea market, so I picked up one ($1.00 I think) and fitted it with no problems. I did have to strip off the reversing switch below the variable-speed trigger part, because there was no room for it in the handle, but the variable speed feature has worked quite nicely ever since. (It is particularly nice to use with countersinks when I have to use them hand-held.) But before I got the drill press and the TapMatic heads I used to do power tapping hand held with 1/4-20 and 10-32 gun taps with a 1/2" variable speed reversible drill motor. Anything smaller was a bit too sensitive to side loads, but those sizes worked well as long as I was careful.

So -- that is what your newsreader does. Mine pre-selects for reading any which are in threads to which I have posted, and then after reading those, I get to go back and select whatever else I want to read. (Usually most of it, but not all -- and the killfile keeps me from seeing some threads and posters.)

I can also set it up to score some posters or subjects either positive or negative, which changes the order in which they are presented, and an accumulation of above a certain threshold of negative points means that I won't see them at all. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So just quit crossposting this crap to and everything will be fine

Fucking asshole...

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

According to Jeffrey Lebowski :

I didn't *originate* the crossposting -- and I had no idea which newsgroup the original poster was actually reading in.

The primary discussion was about a requirement for high speed small drill chucks on machines, which reasonably could have applied to either newsgroup. So -- I didn't see a reason to change the newsgroup back when the discussion was about chucks, and didn't even *remember* that it was cross-posted during the article which you have only partially quoted here.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Don,

Shame on you, and now suggest DONT FEED THE TROLLS !!!

Cheers,

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey,

Considering Don and I are the only ones pisting in this thread, I presume you are calling me the Troll in this case?

Would love to hear your logic on this argument before I decide whether to killfile you.