Anyone going to WESTEC?

Malingering the night away in a motel; lookin' forward to trek to
Los Angeles for WESTEC which runs for most of this week. Anyone else going?
Anything to look for? I'm hoping to badger the Miller welding gang about
various things; hope to bug some other hapless sales droids about various
things, nothing specific. Hope to get some data on miniature high speed
spindles for a turret lathe project; maybe get a line on some used Cat 40
tooling, that sort of thing..
Reply to
steamer
Hey Steamer,
GUNNER should be going!!!!
In fact, he should have a booth there, letting all the visiting droolers know that he can get their currently-owned machines back on line if they quit. At the very least, he should hang around the Haas area, or better yet the Sharp (Hardinge clones) spaces watching for any drooler with hands jammed in his pockets who really wants to renew or upgrade but can't afford it in the local market, and hand them a business card. He'll get kicked out if he gets caught, but hey.......the windshields in the parking lots are always good for a sheet showing services.
And maybe Gunner should touch-base with a financial institution who could float the necessary bucks to any owner of something he is fixing so he doesn't have that worry. Of course, once he starts getting PAID money after every job he does, instead of getting some "barter item", things won't be quite so good for the rest of us visiting Taft!! ah heck.....make that a
You will not believe the price per piece on container loads of anything from China. Absolutely amazing the deals if they think you are a distributor, or if you can find 15 to 20 guys to get together to pool money who want a milling machine. But get it landed in the USA in US$ and in writing, because surprisingly many of the manufacturers don't have US reps and come themselves and many have really bad English, both ways. Nice people, but hard to understand.
Take care. You have a good time there for all of us. I'd love to go because I didn't get to IMTS2006 on account of my knees, but now they are new I'm so darn busy, and NAMES is coming shortly, I won't make it to LA either. Maybe next time!! Sneak lots of pictures for us. Every dern sumbidge there with a cell phone will be!!
One of those
$5-dollars-at-the-Thrift-store-pull-out-handle-suitcases-on-wheels
is a great thing to collect just literature and catalogues in. If it disappears you're not out much. Oh... don't forgot to take along lots of business cards to drop in the "free draw" jars.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
I plan to attend NAMES again. I was initially disgruntled to have to spend the night, but actually enjoyed it by having more time and a place to crash and relax. I met you once at Triemstra's house cleaning. Maybe I'll see you there, new knees and all.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Hi Pete,
Yep. Me too - going to NAMES that is. I hope to see you there. I will try to think to wear a name age.
Regards,
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
SNIP
Hey Pete,
I guess you mean when Dick was over on John R or something near there. I was there prior to his moving the shop to the 8 Mile & Mound area with Dave, in maybe 1998 or 99 with a buddy who bought a nice SB lathe, and my bud did a good clean-up on it and a bit of TLC and it was great. He used it to make a few IC models and started a Shay (which I now have to finish), but he got the big C and passed away in May 2001. I'm sorry I don't recall meeting you, but PLEASE say Hi at NAMES. I'm very likely to be out on the rear loading docks, but if not, have me paged. I'll actually be there from Monday setting up, and I'm staying at the (Seagate??????) $69/night hotel attached.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Great idea, Bob! I'll do that, too. Tag, that is.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
No, it was more recent, 2002 or 2003. In any case, I'll look for you at NAMES. See ya.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor