Spot Welder Verstility similar to HF Model 45689 PAULEE

Spot Welder Verstility similar to HF Model 45689 PAULEE

I thought I'd ask here in RCM, since it's likely that some of the HSM types
have tried using their spot welders for other uses.
I've been wondering if I might be able to use a 120VAC 2KVA handheld
tong-type auto body spot welder to do light duty tasks other than primarily
steel or stainless steel sheet metal. The usual service for these types of
spot welders is sheet metal up to about .125" total thickness.
By using some short lengths of welding cable, custom welding tips and
different fixtures, the resistance welding current might be valuable for
other joining tasks.
Some tasks that it might possibly be useful for:
Spot welding rechargeable battery packs together (nickel 200/201 strap or
copper strap).
This would require a small fixture with isolated micro tips and a few other
features for pressure and travel limit.
Thermocouple junctions
SS electrical terminals to nichrome wire
Copper to steel
Brass to brass or other metals
Some metals joined with a small pellet of silver solder between them.
I would assume that spot welding certain metals would be more difficult than
others.
The type of spot welder I bought is a transformer style unit, so I assume
light duty joints could be made by using a zero crossing SSR solid state
relay/solid state switch with a very short duration timer circuit, maybe.
Battery pack building and various other commercial light duty applications
are typically done with capacitor discharge type spot welders.
The DC current energy "burst" with the CD welders is fairly instantaneous.
Transformer types of spot welders are resistance welders where the delivered
energy is a timed sequence of 60 Hz cycles of AC current.
I recently purhased a spot welder of this type, and from searching for
information, some helpful details have been found.
The typial welding output power for the 120VAC models is about 2KVA.
The electrical requirements are a 30A 120V AC ciruit.
Welding currents are in the 5000A range, at duty cycles of about 50%.
Timing durations seem to vary widely, from milliseconds to 5 seconds.
The welder I bought is labeled (brand) PAULEE, Los Angeles CA. I'm not sure
of the age, or whether the unit was manufactured by a recognized welder
manufacturer.
I suspect that the unit may have been made in the 1980s.
The weld duration timing control dial is labeled from .05 (50 mS) to 1.3
seconds.
The tong arms are straight sections of round copper bars about 3.5" long,
and the tips are made from lengths of smaller round copper bar that pass
thru the arms at 90 degrees. It would seem that for this design it would be
easy to fabricate new replacement tips.
I don't expect to need arms to reach out onto car body panels, so the
straight bars will probably suit my purposes. These types of units could be
adapted to a bench-mounted fixture without too much effort. A foot switch
would allow both hands to be used for positioning the workpiece.
I've used larger spot welders for autobody repair, the kind on wheels the
size of a countertop refrigerator, and I wouldn't have a present need for
one of those units.
PAULEE EQUIPMENT SALES INC.
1131 South La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90035
"universal" (on a globe symbol)
Auto Body Repair System
Class F
Item 50xx
Volt 110 Hz 60
No 82/07/13
KVA 2 at 50% Conventional Power
KVA 11 max Welding Power
Amps 7200 Short Ciruit Current
Electrodes Force 120 daN L=120mm
(120 dekanewtons = ~270 lbf pound-force)
This Appliance Must Be Grounded
Made in Italy
Reply to
Wild_Bill