Spot Welder Tips made of what?

I bought an H&S 4500 spot welder at a garage sale. It's the kind that welds wires onto auto body parts for pulling dents. Came without tips. Haven't yet found a local supplier...no sweat...

1/2" bolt and a few minutes on the lathe and I have a tip.

I've tried welding pieces of welding wire, nails etc. to sheet metal. All I've succeeded in doing is welding the steel tip to the work piece.

My first thought is that I need to make the tip out of something that won't stick to the weld??? Thought about copper, but that's mighty soft. Maybe copper plate the steel?

Ideas? thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

Copper is the right material. The tip material has to be very conductive, so it doesn't get hot and melt due to its resistance. Steel is a poor choice since it has the same resistance as the material you are welding, so it melts too.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Typically, copper but there are several alloys in use for more specific applications. Not sure what type your welder uses. Time to make the weld should not be so long as to distort the tip. I'd start with copper if you cannot find the correct ones.

jerry

mike wrote:

Reply to
jerry rausch

You want solid copper or at least brass.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi, Electrode composition for Resistance-welding has been established by

Welder Manufacturers' Association). The classification includes copper alloys in Group A, divided in Class

1, 2 and 3, and refractory metals in Group B, divided in classes 10 to
  1. The mechanical and electrical characteristics of each type make each of them best suited to welding a particular material. Class 1 is used for welding coated carbon steel, aluminum and magnesium. Class 2 is used for low carbon steel, stainless steel, and silicon bronze. Class 3 is used for electrodes subjected to high pressures, for heavy sections, for stainless and other heat resistant alloys.

These copper alloys are specially formulated for spot welding and probably available from any supplier of spot welding equipment. However special attention should be given to the cooling of the electrodes, from jets of water on the tips, if they are not cooled internally.

Bye, E. Levi

Elia Levi

Reply to
tomcas

I bought some copper/something alloy from a welding supplier, about $10 for a 4" length, The name was something like Elkaloy.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox