Can I use a BT40 taper

in a Haas VF-1?

There's a tool that I'm thinking about buying online, but it's BT40. What would I need to do to get it to work?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
kurgan

I don't think you can as the VF-1 has a 40 CAT head according to a google search.

Reply to
OhNo

Ya, it has a Cat 40 - I was wondering if it was possible to use a BT 40 in a CAT 40 head. Apparently they are very similar.

Reply to
kurgan

check this out

it gives sizes for all

I think its the tool catcher groove that is different

Reply to
OhNo

sorry home is

OhNo

You can use it as long as you don't try to put it through the tool changer. But putting it in and out by hand would be fine.

The V-groove area has a wider gap on BT series tools, and the land closest to the taper is wider also. CT series lands on each side of the V-groove are equal and the gap is narrower. Easy to tell if you have both in hand, or if you've looked at them enough times.

BT series tools also have metric threads (for locks and pull studs). CT series tools have inch threads. Both have similar (enough) shaped and dim'd pull studs (assuming you use the right one...)

Haas machines are generally CT-40, but can be ordered either way.

Reply to
Steven Haerr - CNCTrader Corp

You can't unless you want to load the tools by hand. The difference is in the v-groove that fits the slots in the changer.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Not sure about Haas, but this is true with Fadal machines, BUT you also have to buy new fingers for each station ($20 each x 20).

Reply to
Steven Haerr - CNCTrader Corp

BT and CT holders have the same taper, and are the same basic size; but there are differences that make them very much NON-interchangeable:

The V-groove (where the fingers of a tool changer grip a tool) on a BT holder is wider and deeper than on a CT, and is farther from the face of the spindle. This makes BT holders a better choice for machines that use large and heavy tools, all other things being equal. It also means, however, that a tool changer set up for one kind of tool won't work for the other. The fingers on a changer won't be in the right place (in the Z axis direction), and, even if you could adjust the position of the ATC or the spindle, the fingers wouldn't engage the tool properly because of the difference in the size of the groove.

BT holders have two identical slots for spindle drive keys. CT holders have one full-depth slot, and one that's smaller and shallower. A BT holder can be loaded into a spindle in either of two positions, and can work in a spindle with two drive keys. CT holders can only be loaded one way (there can be advantages to that), and will only work in spindles with a single key.

BT40 holders have M14 threads for the pull stud. CT40's have a 5/8-11 thread. You can buy pull studs of various kinds with either thread, so this is usually just a purchasing and organizing issue; but you'll always need to have the right stud for each machine, and for each type of holder.

Most machine tool builders will configure their machines to work with either type of holder; but, once you've made your choice, you're stuck with it - unless, as someone else suggested, you're willing to buy a whole new set of fingers for your tool changer, physically alter the postion of the the changer (or re-set parameters for Z axis ATC position), and possibly make some other changes as well.

The good news is, most tooling companies offer all their standard holders in both styles. Some types, like 15, 20, and 30 sizes, for very small machines, are only made as BT's. In other cases, like very large horizontal machines, the CT style isn't offered because it limits the size and weight of tools that the ATC will handle. For mid-range stuff, though, like 40 and 50 sizes on normal commodity machines, you can pretty much pick anything you like on the tool end of a holder, and then get either CT or BT at the spindle end.

Hope this helps!

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Kirk:

All our CAT 40 tool holders will load either way in our Fadals and Haas. Our spindles also have two keys, one longer than the other, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the loading of the holders.

Reply to
BottleBob

Most CT tools do have offset notches. But I have also noticed that many CT machines have their taper-keys set out far enough that they are non-directional as it pertains to orientation of the tools (and will accept them in either position).

Reply to
Steven Haerr - CNCTrader Corp

That helps a lot!

thanks to everyone for their replies.