Ways to help the hobby grow

The recent post about "is the hobby growing or dying" reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago.

I'm guessing (hoping) that a lot of people missed it so I'm re-posting it.

I hope this time it collects some additional ideas....

*************

There's been a lot of discussion about what's wrong with the hobby, and

whether or not it is in trouble/dying. Instead of wringing our hands, let's try to use the group's collective

wisdom to come up with ways to help.

I'll go first.......

Ways to help to promote the hobby and/or attract new members:

  1. Give away your old hobby magazines. Every time I go to a place that

has a waiting room (Doctor, Dentist, Muffler shop, Barber, etc.) I take

along a couple of hobby magazines, and leave them behind. Put a sticker

with contact info for your local club on the cover. This is one of the easiest things to do,

costs you nothing, and helps get some clutter out of the house.

  1. Buy a gift subscription to your favorite hobby mag. Donate it to the local school or public library.

  1. Participate in your club's Mall Shows.

  2. Give away your old built-ups that you don't have room for, and aren't up to your current standards anyways.

  1. Many libraries have display cases, with displays/themes that change regularly. Talk to the librarian, organize a display of models and modeling-related books.

  2. Loan your fancy, cased model to the local library or other public building. I've seen ship models in various places.

  1. Hang a couple of planes from the ceiling over your desk at work. You'd be surprised at the interest this generates.

  2. Make a mobile of small aircraft models, and give it to your dentist to hang in his office. (Patients spent a lot of time looking at the ceiling!)

  1. Go to other club's meetings. My RC scale boat club recently hooked up with the local RC airplane club to exchange invitations to meetings and fun flys/ fun floats.

  2. Contact a local Cub Scout pack. Offer to help with modeling activities. Start small- maybe a "make and take" for a single Den. (4-10 boys.) Precede the Make and take with a trip to a museum or airshow.

  1. Ditto for the local girl scouts. My experience is that girls like cars and sci-fi more than planes, armor, and warships. My daughter's current project is a '65 beetle with "flower power" decals.

  2. Teach a modeling class thru the local community Ed program. Also try local stores. On my last visit to the local Michael's Arts and Crafts store, I noticed they had a sign for a "Model Building" class posted, along with the more common painting, flower arranging, and other craft classes.

  1. Add to this list. Share it with other modelers.

  2. Give models as gifts.

  1. Ask where the models are in every store you enter. Buy one if you see it.

  2. When you go to a department store, ask the Store Manager or Department Manager of the store "Do you carry plastic model kits?"

  1. If they do carry something, buy one-- if you aren't going to build it, save it and give it as a gift.

  2. Compile a list of kits that would be of interest to members of some other club. For example, the vintage Mustang car club your neighbor is in might like a list of Ford Mustang kits for their newsletter. (I know my old Coast Guard buddies appreciate my USCG kit list.)

  1. Participate as an exhibitor in local community events/fairs. Examples: I've seen local clubs have a display booth at airshows. My town is having a grand opening day for the new rec area. (Ball fields, concert area, trails, pond, etc.) I contacted the organizer, and got my RC scale boat club invited.

  2. Help distribute the Flyers for your local contest. Around here, the local club contest fliers are ususally available in the local hobby shop. To some extent, posting an IPMS flier at the local plastic shop is preaching to the choir. Sent the fliers to the RC and train shops as well. Post one on the community events bulletin board at the library and grocery store.

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

  1. Try and get FSM to add a "kids section" of kit submissions so newbies won't be scared off from the hobby my pages and pages of perfect models.
Reply to
Craig

Actually, this is a brilliant idea. Has anyone ever contacted the folks at Kalbach about it? I could see something like this really getting kids excited about the hobby. I remember how good it felt to win some awards in the junior category at a contest when I was a kid, so having a junior category for photo submissions makes perfect sense.

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

Doesn't Kalmbach occasionally have a reduced rate when you get a subscription and another as a gift?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72