Newbie to the hobby!

Greetings from Mesa, Arizona all. I just found this group today.

I'm interested in getting into the RC world. I have loved those small RC cars you find at Toys-R-Us since a young age, and once owned an off-road 4x4 (7.2 volt)

I realize the vehicles I mention above are pretty ameteur, but I wanted to say that I amcurrently interested in RC aircraft.

Hobbytown USA is a store here in Arizona, Phoenix to be exact, which a friend of mine works at. His store has a "piper" trainer 3 channel aircraft.

What I want to acomplish is finding out as much information as I can. One of the important details I need is WHERE in Mesa, Arizona I can fly such a thing. I am told there are laws against flying them in just ANY park or open field. Model rockets too!

If anyone in this forum could point me in the right direction, I would be appreciative.

Reply to
The Major

Since you are intrested in the aircraft side of the hobby, I would suggest starting with looking at the AMA website since you will also need to look into getting a membership.

also have a search tool that will allow you to find a local club, which is the next step as a local club may have a trainer to help you get started. Another resource is RCuniverse's website with a great bunch of fourms with alot of information.
another good website:
have fun. Got to head to our storm shelter they just issued a tornado warning. John

Reply to
John Graham

Is a membership in the AMA required to get into the hobby?

(this is not a hostile question, I promise)

which

Reply to
The Major

A membership is highly recommended. Most sites that are controlled by a local group will require it to use the field and or membership into that club. The membership will give you added insurance incase something happens i.e. you crash your airplane into someone's car or property. John

Reply to
John Graham

No it is not. And as far as most parkflyer types are concerned, it's not even recommended. Just make sure to find out the local requirements and prohibitions in your county where you are flying. On the other hand, if you seek more expert advice and want to get into the hobby more deeply, joining the local club (and most likely AMA) may be a good idea.

Reply to
Flint Fredstone

Hi Major, I pretty much agree with John. Check out the AMA website to look for a club in your area. What the heck here are the links

buddy at the hobby store should also be familar with the restrictions on flying in your area too. Before you join the AMA visit the club and see if you like the members find out what they require to join the club. There may be more than one club in your area to consider a membership in. If the club membership is friendly you will have a blast, if not at least you will know. Assuming the membership is friendly then joining the club can be very beneficial to the new guy, clubs generally have instructors that will help you with everything. An instructor will save you a lot of money by landing the plane until you are ready to do it for yourself. Visiting the club before you make any purchase decisions is highly encouraged, you will get to see a variety of planes and you will be able to find out what to buy that is compatible with the instructors equipment. Some clubs even have a club trainer to tweach the new guys on. I don't know if your interest is in electric power or glow fuel powered planes. Both have their unique positives and negatives, I am a fan of the glow powered planes. Chances are there may be a used trainer available for purchase from one of the club members .... if it is in nearly perfect condition pay about 50% of new price, if it costs more than that buy yourself a new one. Good luck I hope you have fun. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

Actually I must say that he deals mostly with their extensive collection of plastic models... he deals in (and builds professionally) model jet aircraft.

Reply to
The Major

Since when does joining a club and AMA makes you more deeply involved in the hobby??????????? Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

I assume its the Parkzone J3 Cub you are talkin about. Its not a "trainer"; but it is a step above the Firebird line. I would not recomend it if you are starting out. The Hobbico Park Pilot would be a better choice or a GWS Slow Stick.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Where did I say that? My statement was that joining the local club gets you more deep. And coincidentally, joining the local club most likely entails joining the AMA.

Reply to
Flint Fredstone

My view point and yours are different........sorry if I misinterperted your statement the wrong way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.