Effort to Save the Oldest Hobby Shop in Alabama

Yesterday the oldest hobby store in Alabama, Spivey's Hobby & Toys, was destroyed in a fire. According to the news report, no one was injured. However, they were not insured.

Here's the story:

Spivey's was an AeroTech products dealer that apparently purchased through distributors. RCS is prepared to donate $1,000.00 of AeroTech product at dealer cost to Spivey's if the owners are able to reopen their business in a new location. Consider this a challenge to all other hobby manufacturers to donate their products to Spivey's so that they may recover. Spivey's may be contacted at:

snipped-for-privacy@spiveyshobby.com (205) 785-9690 (Ph) (205) 785-9692 (Fax)

1303 Tuscaloosa Avenue S.W. Birmingham, AL 35211
I sent them an email this afternoon. I don't know if their phone numbers have been transferred to another location or not. Under these circumstances, mail will usually be held at the Post Office until the addressee picks it up.

This is being posted to the other internet hobby forums and lists as well.

__________________ Gary Rosenfield President, AeroTech Consumer Aerospace Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.

2113 W. 850 N. St. Cedar City, UT 84720
Gary C. Rosenfield

That is a very nice offer, however it may be somewhat misleading.

Standard trade of 40 / 20 / 40 would place the $1000.00 "Dealer Cost" of $1000 to be about $1666 suggested retail.

The Distributor's 20% brings your selling price to $800, where the mark-up is a minimum of 200% or twice the cost, and some are up to

1000%. Given that your out-of-pocket expense is definitely not more than $300, the gift really isn't all that it first sounds.

Still, it's a good offer to help someone not smart enough to insure inventory and warehouse.

Reply to
cainhd

Cain,

So what? Like you said, a good offer and it is a shame they weren't insured. But that's the risks one takes.

Now why don't you return to the other forums and whine some more about no one being willing to nominate you for dog catcher!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

insured. But that's the risks one takes.

Reply to
cainhd

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Agreed. The first donation should be a business card of a good insurance company. I think it would be fair if anyone who wants to donate can do so, but "proof or insurance" should be given before the donation is made. This way they still get their donations but the one making the donation isn't just doing it for nothing.

Heck, I'll nominate you. I have 4 cats, they love a few less dogs around the area.

Reply to
Phillip Windell