Effort to Save the Oldest Hobby Shop in Alabama

Yesterday the oldest hobby store in Alabama, Spivey's Hobby & Toys, was
destroyed in a fire. According to the news report, no one was injured.
However, they were not insured.
Here's the story:

Spivey's was an AeroTech products dealer that apparently purchased through
distributors. RCS is prepared to donate $1,000.00 of AeroTech product at
dealer cost to Spivey's if the owners are able to reopen their business in a
new location. Consider this a challenge to all other hobby manufacturers to
donate their products to Spivey's so that they may recover. Spivey's may be
contacted at:
snipped-for-privacy@spiveyshobby.com
(205) 785-9690 (Ph)
(205) 785-9692 (Fax)
1303 Tuscaloosa Avenue S.W.
Birmingham, AL 35211

I sent them an email this afternoon. I don't know if their phone numbers
have been transferred to another location or not. Under these circumstances,
mail will usually be held at the Post Office until the addressee picks it
up.
This is being posted to the other internet hobby forums and lists as well.
__________________
Gary Rosenfield
President, AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W. 850 N. St.
Cedar City, UT 84720

Gary C. Rosenfield
That is a very nice offer, however it may be somewhat misleading.
Standard trade of 40 / 20 / 40 would place the $1000.00 "Dealer Cost" of $1000 to be about $1666 suggested retail.
The Distributor's 20% brings your selling price to $800, where the mark-up is a minimum of 200% or twice the cost, and some are up to 1000%. Given that your out-of-pocket expense is definitely not more than $300, the gift really isn't all that it first sounds.
Still, it's a good offer to help someone not smart enough to insure inventory and warehouse.
Reply to
cainhd
Cain,
So what? Like you said, a good offer and it is a shame they weren't insured. But that's the risks one takes.
Now why don't you return to the other forums and whine some more about no one being willing to nominate you for dog catcher!
Reply to
Chuck Jones
Reply to
Chuck Jones
Agreed. The first donation should be a business card of a good insurance company. I think it would be fair if anyone who wants to donate can do so, but "proof or insurance" should be given before the donation is made. This way they still get their donations but the one making the donation isn't just doing it for nothing.
Heck, I'll nominate you. I have 4 cats, they love a few less dogs around the area.
Reply to
Phillip Windell

Site Timeline