Oldest hobby store in Alabama burns

It's a sad day in B'ham.

At 5:00pm channel 13 is showing live, Spivey's Hobby Store almost completely engulfed in flames. The reporter on the scene says everyone got out ok. No cause as yet.

MY, speculation is that it might have been struck by lightning as a strong storm was in the area at the time.

Randy

<randyolb

:-( The important thing is that no one was injured...

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

No one injured that is very very good the rest can be rebuilt, better than before, faster, stronger. OOPS it comes back again to haunt me. Sorry Lee Majors.

Reply to
nitram578

Physically no, mentally, it's very severe. The store was the old guy's entire life, he'd been there 55 years. He's almost 80 now and he's been in and out of the hospital several times in the last year. The news reported this morning that the insurance company dropped him about a month ago, because the building was too old. Not much chance it will be rebuilt.

Randy

<randyolb

In article Uj1oe.340$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 6/3/05 12:31 PM:

Here's the story.

I can certainly relate.

Spivey's was an AeroTech products dealer that apparently purchased through distributors. RCS is prepared to donate $1,000.00 of AeroTech product at dealer cost to Spivey's if the owners are able to reopen their business in a new location. Consider this a challenge to all other hobby manufacturers to donate their products to Spivey's so that they may recover. Spivey's may be contacted at:

snipped-for-privacy@spiveyshobby.com (205) 785-9690 (Ph) (205) 785-9692 (Fax)

1303 Tuscaloosa Avenue S.W. Birmingham, AL 35211
I sent them an email this afternoon. I don't know if their phone numbers have been transferred to another location or not. Under these circumstances, mail will usually be held at the Post Office until the addressee picks it up.

I am going to post this to the other hobby forums and lists as well.

Gary

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

I pledge the same! Please repost to other forums as possible.

God bless you Gary.

Jerry

"You were so clearly one of the leaders of the HPR movement in the early

80s."

- Fred Brennion

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I just heard on the 10:00pm news that the Spivey's still have coverage, so that's some good news. It seems the notice they got last month was that it would not be renewed, but it had not actually expired yet, so they will squeak by and get some kind of a settlement.

Now the question will be whether or not at age 78 and in declining health, will they want to reopen at some point.

Randy

<randyolb

Maybe someone like the Countdown guy could "take over" the business/location and keep running it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Alas, all this means is that the insurance company will "investigate" until the owner passes away...

Bob Kaplow

Cynical, but I could see that happening...

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

That is *exactly* what I was thinking...

I could see them (the insurance investigator) now... "We gave notice that coverage will expire, and the building burns... hmmm..."

Hope everything works out for the best.

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

snip

I just got back from the monthly meeting for BRB 665. We were told by club v.p. Ron Witherspoon that he talked to Mr. Spivey just a day or two ago and it now looks as though they will get enough money from the insurance company to reopen soon, in another location not far from his old hobby shop.

When I know more, I'll pass it along.

Randy

<randyolb

Beyond the Road from the Beast?

- Rick "What's a 'B' word for across?" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson