newbie question, what to buy first

I am new to rc airplanes and need some advice on what to get. Ultimately I would like to get into 4 channel flying, but I realize I need to get a simpler plane to train on.

My first question is this, it seems like most of the easier to fly planes come with a radio, either 2 or 3 channel. should I buy the complete set with the intention of buying another 4 channel radio down the road, or should I buy the 4 channel now and just use 2 of the servos for my first plane?

my second question is what trainer should I get? I live near a big park in a rural area that would be great to fly, although there are some neighbors fairly close that would object to gas, so I need an electric. I don't see any electric trainers with the big forgiving wings like I do for gas. Would it be easier to learn with a sailplane?

thanks in advance,

jack

Reply to
jack

Hi Jack, I've been learning on a GWS Slowstick for about two months now and I am making a fair bit of progress. The stock Slowstick is a 3 channel (rudder, elevators, throttle) parkflyer ARF (Almost Ready to Fly). The base kit comes with the model and electric engine and you need to add servos/receiver/battery/speed controller/transmitter. I've tried flying it in low wind conditions and it flies beautifully. Very stable and very forgiving. You just need a big park and low/no wind. There is not much that can break in there (except the props, i ran through 5 of them before I rigged up a decent prop saver :)) This thread has a whole lot of very helpful details about the slowstick:

Researching!!

-sharad

Reply to
Sharad

On 5/27/2004 10:44 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I suggest going and talking to a LHS (Local Hobby Shop). DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT THIS TIME. What you need to find out is if there are any clubs in your area.

Then talk to someone at the club and find out where there flying field is and go visit. You will find that the majority of RCers are quite open and talkative. If there is an instructor available, definitely talk to him. See what the instructor suggests for a radio, plane, etc. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM ABOUT THE PARK YOU WOULD LIKE TO FLY IN. An electric plane will most likely be suggested to you, as well as popular brands of radios in your area. They can also advise you on which "package deals" are good and which to avoid. Remember, you rarely can make substitutions in a package deal.

Now this is the difficult part - choosing how you want to learn.

Clubs provide instructors at no charge, however, they USUALLY require joining the club AND the AMA. Learning with an instructor is the best way to go.

You can teach yourself to fly. Many people have done it. What you need to be aware of is: Teaching yourself to fly has a steep learning curve. It is normally very frustrating (not to mention expensive) and the first flight of someone teaching them self to fly is USUALLY less than

30 seconds and frequently results in damage to the plane and/or equipment on the plane.

IMHO, learning with an instructor is the best way to go. The instructor will make sure your plane is OK to fly (balance is correct, servos working, etc). The instructor will also "trim" the plane out in the air so it flies properly. The instructor will then make sure you do not learn any bad/unsafe habits, and finally, the instructor can frequently keep you from damaging your plane while you are learning.

Once you have spoken to an instructor and received their recommendations, THEN go and purchase your equipment.

As for your questions.

I learned on a glo plane. They are 4 channel planes and do fly faster than electric trainers. They also require a larger area to fly in.

The MAJORITY of electric trainers are 3 channel. The MAJORITY of electric trainers are frequently "park flyer" size (wingspan under 30"), fly substantially slower than glo planes and are extremely light. Due to their light weight, MOST of them have difficulty with wind 5 mph and higher. The more advanced electric planes are 4 channel, while the more advanced glo planes often are using 5, 6, or more channels.

If you are going to stay with electric planes a 4 or 5 channel radio will do you for quite a few years. If you are going to fly glo planes, I suggest a 6 channel (or more) radio so you do not "out grow it" in a season or two. In either case, I strongly suggest a COMPUTER radio. Many of the functions you will not use while learning, but once you learn to fly and move on to another plane, you will appreciate the additional functions/abilities of a computer radio.

IF there are no clubs in your area AND/OR you decide to teach yourself to fly, a Slow Stick is a pretty good trainer. They are slow, reasonably stable and normally easy to repair when you crash (not if, WHEN).

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

| Clubs provide instructors at no charge, however, they USUALLY require | joining the club AND the AMA. Learning with an instructor is the best | way to go.

By `usually' he means `almost always'. Some may let you fly once or twice using the instructor's plane, but they won't train you all the way through being able to fly yourself.

| You can teach yourself to fly. Many people have done it. What you need | to be aware of is: Teaching yourself to fly has a steep learning curve. | It is normally very frustrating (not to mention expensive) and the | first flight of someone teaching them self to fly is USUALLY less than | 30 seconds and frequently results in damage to the plane and/or | equipment on the plane.

Trying this with the 0.40 sized built up balsa wood plane is almost a guarantee of a plane-destorying crash within one minute.

| IMHO, learning with an instructor is the best way to go. The instructor | will make sure your plane is OK to fly (balance is correct, servos | working, etc). The instructor will also "trim" the plane out in the air | so it flies properly. The instructor will then make sure you do not | learn any bad/unsafe habits, and finally, the instructor can frequently | keep you from damaging your plane while you are learning.

If you do go the `electric in the park' route, an instructor is still useful. Even if he's just a guy who knows how to fly R/C but has never really taught anybody, and with no buddy box, his input will still be extremely useful.

| I learned on a glo plane. They are 4 channel planes and do fly faster | than electric trainers. They also require a larger area to fly in.

They're also noiser and much more dangerous. Do not try to learn to fly one on your own without an instructor.

| The MAJORITY of electric trainers are 3 channel. The MAJORITY of | electric trainers are frequently "park flyer" size (wingspan under 30"),

Actually, even the park fliers have bigger wingspans than that. Pico Stick = 38". Pico Moth = 31.5". Slow Stick = 46". Firebird Commander = 40". Only a few have wingspans smaller than 30", and they're usually the really low-end toys.

| fly substantially slower than glo planes and are extremely light. Due | to their light weight, MOST of them have difficulty with wind 5 mph and | higher. The more advanced electric planes are 4 channel, while the more | advanced glo planes often are using 5, 6, or more channels.

Once you get above a certain level, you can get pretty much anything in glow or electric -- it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay.

| If you are going to stay with electric planes a 4 or 5 channel radio | will do you for quite a few years. If you are going to fly glo planes, | I suggest a 6 channel (or more) radio so you do not "out grow it" in a | season or two. In either case, I strongly suggest a COMPUTER radio.

There is no fundamental difference here between electric and glow. You can get 2 channel glow planes, and 10 channel electrics. It depends on what you want, and what you've got to spend.

| IF there are no clubs in your area AND/OR you decide to teach | yourself to fly, a Slow Stick is a pretty good trainer. They are | slow, reasonably stable and normally easy to repair when you crash | (not if, WHEN).

Agreed. Another option, if you have any good slope flying slopes nearby and the wind is usually good, would be a zagi-like flying wing glider. Cheap and indestructible. And fun!

If you do decide to teach yourself, make sure you don't fly within 3 miles of an established club without working out some sort of frequency sharing. They can't prevent you from flying closer (though they might think they can) but do be aware that if two people are using the same frequency and are close, a crash or two is likely to happen. Also, if you're flying near somebody else, always make sure you two aren't on the same frequency before turning your transmitter on.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Beginner Parkflyers

aeropal

Then you haven't looked at a slow stick. The one plane that pretty much flys itself, and so slow that you have plenty of time to work out which way to wiggle the sticks.

Would it be easier to

No. slowstick. Its an ugly plastic sheet with a stick fuselage that you will grow to love as you epoxy the shattered bits back together. Don't fly in any sort of wind, but anyone with any hand eye co-ordination will pick up the basics in a few weeks without tuution. Eventually you will get bored with it and find somethong ore interesting to crash, but as a basic trainer to teach you how to take off and land and fly circuits, its the bees knees.

Get LIPO if you can, because short flights are a pain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I learned on an AeroBird Challenger, which is an electric Ready To Fly kit (meaning put wing on fuselage, charge batteries, and that's it) with 3-Ch control (rudder/aileron on V-tail, elevator, throttle). It's a tough bird, and easy enough to repair; the replacement parts are readily available, and for $150.00 you have everything you need to fly. You'll probably want an extra wing though :)

I learned the basics of turning and landing before thaking the AeroBird out, using FMS, which is free and only requires a cheap-o $20.00 joystick (with dual analog sticks) to operate on your PC.

This is the approach I've been recommending to my friends who are interested in flying after they see me do it. I've since branched out into more advanced models but it's a good place to start, and more forgiving than some methods.

James

Reply to
James Calivar

The wise choice would be to buy the 4 ch. But I see you would like to try it solo......so a 2 ch. RTF would be a good choice. Save your money up and buy a 4 ch or more (its up to you ) and a 3 ch. plane later. The transtion from 2 to 3 will be easier and thus flatten this "so called steep learning curve"

I would not say big wings are forgiving.......alot more CA and balsa you might use in repairing them when you crash :-) I have a plane with a 28" span thats very stable and cruises nice at 60% throttle....but turn the "heat" up and its a little speed demon. My fav is a GWS Slow Stick.....flies very nice and is midly aerobatic. As far as sailplanes???.....cant comment on them; never flew them but ask Doug McLaren I think he flies them.

Please let me know what your thinking of getting. Feel free to e-mail

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

I also heartily recommend the Slowstick.

Sign up for RCgroups.com forum (free) and read the countless pages as to why... Im in this now 6 months and loving it. The SS was my first. i self taught with the aid of this NG and the RCG forum. Assuming your interested: The ideal setup is the SS with the "300" motor, a half dozen replacement propellers (they break easy!) a radio that suits your future plans - a cheapo hitec neon 3 channel is fine if you dont think you'll be moving on to bigger & better models. I have a futaba

4YF and its fine, but i have 4 planes now, and wish i had a radio that stores settings, like this one:
**&P=ML Oh well, christmas is coming....

Almost everyone will package-deal the SS with a GWS 4ch radio. Thats fine too - works great, but no bells & whistles though but cant beat the price. You want (2) GWS mini servos, not pico or naro - they are too small. The ICS 300 speed controller is the way to go. Cheap & effective. You DONT want a GWS battery, they are typically poor performering and short-lived. The BEST slowstick battery is the 7cell KAN 1050 from

I own nine packs now. $17 each As for chargers, You NEED a true Peak Detecting charger. Its circuitry actually senses when the battery is charged and shuts off. Anything else is garbage. I own a MRC superbrain 959, but im not satisfied with it, others may have better recommendations. This one looks like a nice cheap solution:
All totalled, you can usually get airborne for $200-250usdollars, more if you get several batteries (recommended) and investment-quality radio gear.

This planes top speed is like 13-15mph flying level. It can slow down to almost a walking pace. Its beauty though is its extreme maneuverability. If you can get a friend to buy one too, tie some crepe paper streamers on the tail and dogfight - thats incredible fun. click on the 'combat' video link here:

I have helped several others with technical details for this plane, feel free to ask if your interested. Mike

Reply to
MikeF