Hobby Shops in the Upstate of South Carolina

I would like to do some window shopping this weekend and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Theres not much in the Greenville area besides hobbytown, Golden Strip Hobbies and the great escape but I was wondering if there are any places taking a daytrip. Maybe in the Charlotte area or something. Thanks in advance.

Deeman

Reply to
dereman

There is a very good shop in a shopping center right off I-85 in the Gastonia area. I'll try to find the name and more details.

Maybe someone else here knows the shop.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

John's Toy & Hobby in the Gaston Mall. Cox Road Exit. Family owned since the early 70s at least. John's son Glenn has run it for a number of years now and he's a great guy to talk shop with when he can spare the time. Models have always been one of his big interests but he's carrying the entire load now along with raising a family.

Shelby, NC has a shop called Chug-a-Chug-a-Choo. A real nice family owned shop like John's Toy and Hobby. I haven't been in there in a few years since they moved next door into the Cleveland Mall, but in the old shop they had a very good selection. The mall is on US 74 which runs parallel to I-85, to the north. He had a lot of obsolete car kits but that was before everybody went eBay so I'd be a little surprised if that is still the case.

In Gaffney, SC about an hour south of Gastonia on I-85 there is a strip of outlet malls. I don't recall the name, but there was a hobby shop nestled in there a few years ago. Traffic always seemed a little light in the store so I womnder if they're still around. Frankly I think I got more bang for the buck out of the KB Toys Outlet that was on the sidewalk across from it. I'm pretty sure KB folded up its presence in the Carolinas since then.

HTH. Upstate and a little bit beyond into Big Carolina. ;-)

WmB

WmB

John's Toy & Hobby - that's the one. Nice selection of kits and reasonable prices along with interesting displays.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

... Maybe in the

HobbytownUSA in southern Charlotte is a nice shop. Pineville-Matthews road near 77 and 485. And there is another shop about a half mile east of it, Action Hobbies.

If you venture farther, to Fayetteville, NC there is an interesting shop called The Hobbit, and another called Hayes Hobby House.

Reply to
Rufe