Got my Airfix TSR 2 in the USA

I saw this almost mythical kit at Colpar Hobbies in Denver, CO on Friday and picked one up for $33.98. They had a few left today.
Apparently these weren't obtained through the "normal" distribution channels. I was wondering if any of these kits would make it into the local US hobby shops. Now I have my answer (and my TSR 2!).
Martin
I saw this almost mythical kit at Colpar Hobbies in Denver, CO on Friday and picked one up for $33.98. They had a few left today. Apparently these weren't obtained through the "normal" distribution channels. I was wondering if any of these kits would make it into the local US hobby shops. Now I have my answer (and my TSR 2!).
Martin

From the limited pictures I've seen the Airfix kit looks as if it was something they could have been produced in the 1960's. Please tell me if I'm wrong?
(kim)
kim wrote:

It's definitely not a 60s-style kit. Although not quite up to the standards of modern Hasegawa offerings, it is still a nice kit. It is of a similar standard to the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire F24.
I like it.
I *am* gonna build it... I *am* gonna build it... I *am* gonna build it... ;-)
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Enzo Matrix wrote:

Pics of the kit in box. http://airfix.com/cs/blogs/articles/archive/2006/02/20/27225.aspx
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

standards
it...
That is what I meant. It looks pretty much like the F-111 kit I bought circa 1967 for 7/6d (37.5p). I have this theory that the mould was produced back then but shelved in favour of the 111 when the project was cancelled. It seems odd that anyone would produce a totally new mould after all these years.
Kim
kim wrote:

Looking at the sprues holding the fuselage halves, I can see what you mean. The gates to the parts are simply monstrous!
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
******Snip******

As a lot of our old school reports probably said
Could Do Better
But I for one am not complaining other than the fact its only a limited production and now very difficult to get hold of in the UK near its original price.
Gondor

standards
I have the kit, and while it's better than their Hawk kits, I don't think it's quite up to the same level as their 1/48 Lightnings and late Spitfire/Seafire kits.
Just my two cents.
Dave
Please tell me

I've seen one. My immediate reaction was 'Matchbox?' Late Mbox to be sure, but that's the feel I got from it. Looks like it will build up nicely though. And I'm sure the resin boys are working on cockpit details etc as we speak.
RobG (The Aussie one)

Matchbox? Not sure on that.
This was tooled in China (Airfix admit to this but won't say who it was)
I'd say the layout - for the fuselage particularly is not 1960s - too many parts.
For the conspiracy nuts out there it is said that Airfix were well on the way to kitting it when the original was cancelled - how far?
At least it flew unlike all that Luft 46 stuff.

I'm
A club member has one and he brought it to the last meeting. While not up to the standard of Tamiya or Hasegawa (or even recent Revell/Italeri), the kit is, IMHO, quite good. The sprue is very thick but the connections to the actual parts are thin enough. Surface details is fine.
Just me 2c worth
Cheers Ultan