Attitudes to modelling

I have just put the finishing touches to my RF-4C model.

I am about to embark on a major F-4 modelling spree in 1/72, using eleven Hasegawa kits. Before I started, I thought that I would "get my hand in" by building an old Esci kit that has been sat in my Deep Stash for over twenty years. The reasons for it were threefold:

  1. I have never been particularly happy with the tan supplied by paint manufacturers for the SEA scheme, so I would take this opportunity to experiment with mixing my own.

  1. I would experiment with more extreme weathering than I usually use.

  2. When detail in cockpits is somewhat spare, I usually just buy a resin detailing set and bung that in. this time I thought I would attempt to detail the cockpit instead.

My original intent was to build it as "Tumbleweed", an extrememly weathered aircraft of the 11 TRS, using an aftermarket decal sheet, but I changed my mind. Seeing as this was going to be a very experimental build, I didn't want to waste anything worthwhile on it. The old Esci kit, although quite accurate, is not to the same standard of detail as the Hasegawa one. It is over twenty years since I bought it, so if it doesn't work out, it's not gonna cost me anything. Why waste a perfectly good aftermarket sheet on it? Instead, as the Esci decals had been damaged in storage, I used an old Italeri decal sheet of similar vintage.

So, I started the build. I really wasn't bothered if I made a pig's ear of the build and so I tried all sorts of things that I would never usually contemplate. I detailed the cockpit with plasticard and fuse wire. I realised that as I was putting Quickboost resin seats into the Hasegawa ones, I had a huge supply of spare kit seats, so two went into Esci kit, with added detail - seatbelts from cooking foil, handles from fuse wire.

I found a mix for the tan paint that I was happy with, applied the colour scheme and experimented with an overspray of Klear (Future) - something that I'd only ever used on canopies before. I applied the decals, added extra stencils from other twenty-year-old sheets and then I started to weather it.

This time, I wanted to portray a filthy undersurface - something that seemed to be characteristic of F-4s. I use various weathering powders on my model railway, so I tried something called "track dirt". Quite apart from the dirt it simulated, the powder also got trapped in the panel lines, producing a far subtler effect than I've ever managed with countershading or washing. It was then that I realised that my experimental build, which I didn't really care about, was starting to look very good indeed! All of a sudden, I *did* care about it...!

At that point, I did a bit of research. The particular aircraft that I was building took part in Exercise Coronet Keno in 1977. I found a picture of another aircraft from the squadron, which showed that they didn't carry inboard pylons for that exercise and that the paint scheme on the fin tip was different to how I had portrayed it.

So, with the model painted, decaled and weathered, I started to do some rebuilding and repainting - again, something that I would never normally consider. Further components - jet nozzles and centreline tank - were robbed from the Hasegawa kit.

Now I've finished it. That "experimental" build, that I "didn't care about" has turned into one of the most satisfying projects that I can remember. I have learned a few new techniques, I've taken a few risks and I've had an

*awful* lot of fun building it. It didn't really cost me a penny (most of the costs were amortised over two decades ago!) but it is now one of the most valued models in my collection. There *are* things wrong with it - the Italeri decal sheet provided a rather squidged squadron badge, for instance - but I don't care. I think it looks great!

It has taught me a thing about my modelling attitude as well. I set out to enjoy the build, rather than worry about whether I was going to botch it up or not. Maybe because of that enjoyment, I made a better job of things than I expected.

So... I've moved straight on to building the Hasegawa F-4E that I robbed components from. And yannow what? Despite the fact that I paid good money for this kit quite recently - not to mention the aftermarket seats and decals that I'm going to use on it - I'm really not concerned if I botch it up... I *am* concerned about accuracy and suchlike, but if it all goes pear-shaped then so what? I have another in my stash! ;-)

Let's see how much I enjoy *this* one!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Nice mini-article. Sounds like you got back to the original reason most of us get into modeling. Have fun, build something interesting, have fun, learn new things, have fun, fill up the empty nooks and crannies of our homes and most of all, have fun. I enjoyed reading your post and can identify with not always needing to have the latest greatest most expensive kit to still have a good time and be proud of the result. Good luck with the eleven Hasagawas and all future projects.

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
Jonathan Silverthorn

Pics please! (sorry for top posting)

Reply to
willshak

I'd love to... but I'm not convinced that my digicam is up to the task. I'll try tomorrow in the bright sunshine that we are supposed to be getting...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i love the hell out of building some of my childhood kits again. in some instances, i can compare them. my skills are just about the same level as when i quit, so soon, i will be much better. i actually built a kit i was happy with! amazing.

Although not exactly the same, I recently got very nostalgic when building a model Spitfire. When I was eight, my Grandad noticed that I never painted my "Airfixes", I just threw 'em together and played with them. He therefore gave me a Revell 1/72 Spitfire MkII and all the relevant Humbrol paints and insisted that I paint it. This was the first kit that I ever finished properly and I got a great kick out of doing so. The kit decals provided the markings for Douglas Bader's MkII.

Recently I completed a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire MkI as Bader's aircraft, using the Victory Production decals and an Ultracast spinner and prop. As I applied the decals I felt that I had been transported back in time thirty-six years. I get a lot of enjoyment from my modelling, but somehow that Spitfire MkII gave me a lot more joy due to the sense of nostalgia it engendered.

As I've mentioned, I'll be building a few F-4s. I have plans for an F-4E from the 57FIS and an F-4F from JBG-36. During my last Phantom phrenzy, in the 80s, I built the same two aircraft. In fact, for the F-4F I will be using decals from the exact same source - Modeldecal Sheet 46. Last time I used the Italeri kit, this time it will be Hasegawa.

I still have the old models, packed carefully away in my parents' attic 250 miles away. They haven't seen the light of day for twenty years, but once the two new ones are completed, I think I'll get them out again just to see how (whether?!) my skills have improved...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I wish I could say the same. My sight is diminished. My hands shake more they did then. I have CRS and keep misplacing stuff. The only way I can paint small stuff is to hold them between my thumb and forefinger and then spray my whole hand and hope some paint gets on the part. :-)

Reply to
willshak

pictures! we demand pictures!!! (pretty please?) isn't that the point? being psycho about absolute perfection and not having a single mistake is the road to ruin. i build for fun, if it isn't, why bother? i could get another job to fill time.

pretend it's not a big deal so that it comes out perfect. i think you stumbled on to something here, enzster.

i would love to see some then and now shots if you feel like. mine are a lot further away, but i'll share when i get them. i'm sure some of my early efforts are quite funny. there are some that didn't survive the great firecracker and napalm war i had with my neighbor in 1960. prolly a good thing.

yes, that sounds about right. and i have the occasional joy of shooting myself in the face with a rattle can. or square on my reading glasses. shakes? yep, but if i nail one finger to the table it's not so bad.

I tested myself the other day to see if I could still do the 1/72 detailing that I used to before AMS set in.

I did a cargo load for the GAZ AA composed of various sized boxes, a couple of tent bags and two gerry cans. Took two of the ESCI cans and removed the solid handles. Replaced them with three strands of very fine sprue each. The results were most appealing. Yesterday, while looking through a couple of hundred vehicle kits for more cargo, I went through the parts in an Academy kit, I think that it was the GMC 2 1/2 ton truck. The gerry cans have seperate parts for the handles.....DOH!

At least I know that, with slightly diminished vision due to ageing and type two diabetes causing less flexation in my fingers, I can still accomplish what I want. A flouerescent ring magnifier helps a great deal as well as getting a small vice for the work table to hold things.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Not happy with a certain paint color?.Boy!,i wish that was my rub!,Mines' motivation,I need Matt Foley!!,or else ill be building a van down by the river!!.

Reply to
teem

yea tom! the light and vise seem like a winning combo for me, so i appreciate the share. sounds like you're doing fine. now lets see if you can build a 1/144th scale motorcycle wiring harness......

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Bravo! Anyone can turn out a show stopper with super kit and 3 c kit cost of resin and PE. It takes a real modeler to do what you did.

I ain't nearly that good, but I've made a few purses myself. Post a few pics if you would. I gotta take some photos of my 1/40 Revel T-34. Beat a super kit at a local gathering.

Got all 6 of the Mono 1/32 Pzkw IV kits the Airfix 250, Crusader, Grant, Lee and 17 Pder. I'm looking for the Mon 1/32 8 wheeler. Got several boxes of Airfix 1/32 soldiers Brit and German Europe and Africa, US Army and Marines. Just gonna have fun with them. Did a least 3 of the Mono's as a kid and did a fine job. I won't take on the Mono M3s or M4s because of the tracks, thought I did a righteous job on the Mono Grant as a teen before I knew better.

I'll scratch whatever I need, kinda have to, ain't a lot in 1/32. I alos have bunches of older aircraft Frog, Airfix, Revell. I have lots of newer stuff, too but the older stuff just seems more fun.

Good for you. Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost

I've found that models I 'don't care' about often turn out very well. Then there are those I really want to come out well and everything goes awry.

Unfortunately I've noticed the same trouble with women. Individuals I have no romantic interest in I have no difficulty talking with and become good friends with them. Those that I harbour some emotional feeling about leave me tongue-tied and clumsy-looking.

Must regain my logic.......must regain my logic...........

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-modeller

Sounds similar here with the exception of the last part. I do seem to get more paint on my fingers now but it's brushed on.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-modeller

Been there! Done that! LOL

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

sounds like you got a bad case of normal guy facing romantic problems. my advice?...................................................... ....................................duh.

hellblau fingernails are quite attractive.