M & P Models Church Gresley near Swadlincote

Following a trip to Burton On Trent we went to find M & P Models on
Church Street, Church Gresley near Swadlincote.
It's not what you could call a 'full time shop' as it's only open
Saturday 1.30 till 4.00, Sunday 10.30 till noon and a couple of
nights in the week ...... but what a great little shop.
Nothing fancy, cardboard box's and fold flat crates etc. and the floor
area can only be about 10' by 25' at the most, but what a good range
of second hand kit they have on display !
The chap who served us was very friendly and the atmosphere was
relaxed.
Got our son a Duracell tanker, some drop sided wagons and some low
macs would also have got him a Virgin diesel but he does not take
cheques only cash.
Chris
PS Thanks Simon
Reply to
Dragon Heart
Well I knew some people worship Nigel Gresley but I didn't realise there was an entire church named after him?
(kim)
Reply to
kim
there's Castle Gresley too... remember going there as a lad to some exhibition or something where some adults were running a live steam "O"-Gauge Basset Lowke Royal Scot and wanting one ever since... that must be 36 years ago...
David
Reply to
chorleydnc
Pleased you liked it. I visit at least once every 6 weeks as his stock can change dramatically in that time. Yep, Paul - the owner - is very friendly and helpful, hes also honest (but not stupid).
Bought a nu-cast B1 from him the other week.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Tis the parish of Church Gresly next to the one of Castle Gresley. Would have been quite prophetic as they were established by his (apparently) less than noble ancestors in 13th century.
There is a pub in Swad called the Sir Nigel Gresley, but few people impressed by Swad. Sir Nigel's immediate family were established in Netherseale which is a few miles away from the ancestral seat.
There, thats enough LNER.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Visited Signal Box in Anstey - Leicestershire. Been before and seemed be nice friendly shop, but today it was a different person behind the counter - perhaps the owner. Got the tot with me, at first chap was bit snappy. OK, that made my mind up not to buy a stanier tank. Then as we were waiting to be served he was rude, bordering on nasty to the tot. There went the 2nd hand select and the bits of metal and plasicard. We left and wont return. He didnt seem to mind about the lost sale.
As we returned to the car, another customer called to us, went over. Had a chat, he wanted to tell us that after that he wasnt going there again. Did we know about the shop in Sileby.
Anyone else had similar experience when accompanied by child ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
There was (note past tense) a model shop in York which appeared not to want any customers. Part of it was kept fenced off, and woe betide anyone who asked for access to have a look at something. And they really didn't seem to like young people - those under about 50 or so...
Another shop (not railways) always seems very reluctant to part with their kits, and would never discuss them or what they had - I became convinced it was really a front for something :-)
More positively, I had a bit of a surprise last week when a local chain model shop didn't have a new kit I want[1], but the chap serving suggested I go to a new-ish independent shop round the corner which I didn't even know existed!
[1] Can anyone recommend a mail order supplier of UM 1:72 military model kits, or a shop reachable from Croydon (which isn't Modelzone or Dorking Models, who don't have it)?
Reply to
Arthur Figgis
For mail order I can recommend Moduni.de a company in Germany. They have a good site with English and other language versions and a wide range of models in all materials. A very 'on the ball' company with multi language email updates if requested. Good range of railway, military and architectural models. Hope this helps.
peter brown uk
Reply to
peter brown
Try Hannants of Lowestoft, also have a retail shop around the Colindale area. Lots of planes, but also military

John Shelley
The box from the model armoured railcar which I've just finished building doesn't say what it stands for, it only says UM as the manufacturer's name. But their e-mail address is Unimodels@..., which might be significant.
Reply to
Arthur Figgis
Nothing in '0' that day that I saw.
They did have an old Hornby Doublo three rail still, just about, in it's original blue and white striped box.
I have had a number of conversations with shop owners who 'complain' about waiting around all day for a customer. Yes time wasters are a pain but I always find more people will come in if the shop has at least one or two people looking around.
Our son likes to look but knows not to touch, he will even 'tell off' other children for doing so. We have been lucky only to have had a couple of non child friendly store / stall owners. The point is if they upset our son they are upsetting their customer, it's his layout !
If you experience these type of people write to the shop and complain, if it's a stall at a show or exhibition write to the organisers.
Still can't understand how the chap at M & P Models makes it pay ...... he may just be one of those who has found a way to fill in a few hours each week.
Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart
I thought it might be "Ultra Modern" but now you've explained it's a brand name you might like to try Antics Online. They're usually good at that sort of stuff:
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Certainly do, he bought his first trainset on his first birthday.
Its only the second we've encountered, but the first to be nasty to him. As I said he lost a customer but dont think he was bothered about that. not going to do any complaining, just warned people in case they take a child there.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
He has another job, this is just an extra. Must be doing something right, been open for 15 years. Probaby the simple formula, low overheads, no bank loan and straight dealing.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon

Site Timeline