Gresley suburban

I am building an Ian Kirk kit of a 51ft Gresley suburban coach. I want to paint it in BR maroon, but cannot find any decent close-up photos of the lining position on the coach. What really concerns me is the progress of the lining across all the panelling. I assume it would be between the beading below the windows and a line through the door handles.

Please dont tell me to give up and paint it in crimson.

Reply to
crazyhorse

In message , crazyhorse writes

Only one?

(Sorry, can't help. These coaches didn't run in South Wales.)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

kit of a 51ft Gresley suburban coach.

I do know what you mean. Somehow a photographer with a newly acquired camera did not suddenly feel the urge to film at Canklow or Langwith Junction.

Somehow, Nantgarw sounds much more poetic.

Reply to
crazyhorse

Non corridor stock would usually have been unlined both in crimson and maroon liveries.

Reply to
John Shelley

Oh, thanks. That is marvellous news.

Reply to
crazyhorse

Are you sure? Is that non=gangwayed stock in general, or just Gresleys?

Look at

the background is a train of ex-GWR non-gangwayed coaches in BR maroon livery. These coaches are lined. I have several other pictures, some in colour, showing ex-GWR non-gangwayed coaches in BR maroon livery with lining.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I did say usually. That was the original spec. However some regions did later do their own thing and added some lining to some of their non-gangwayed stock. Photos are the only guide and each only prooves the condition of one vehicle on one day, obviously sevceral photos of the same vehicle will enable a larger picture to be created.

Reply to
John Shelley

John,

I have a memory that the 51ft Gresley stock on the North Clydeside ex LNER/NB lines was unlined, and I think they still carried the original unlined crimson red, and not the later maroon, up to the time they were scrapped (1960 when the Blue trains started).

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie