Early Tyne EMU livery question

I am trying to sort out illustrations for the 'know your enemy chart' in Appendix Four of the on the Goods and Not So Goods website.

I have done all the diesels and electrics and am currently on multiple units. I am having difficulty finding livery info on the early Tyneside EMUs.

The 1903 sets appear to be single car units which could operate in multiple. These were in a two-tone livery. The NER coach livery was a maroon similar to Midland red so I think they were red and cream.

In 1920 there was a fire that destoyed some units and the NER built some replacement units, I think these were two-car units, which appear to have been painted a single colour, presumably NER red.

In 1923 the LNER took over, I do not know if they changed the livery.

In 1937 the LNER built additional units for the expanding Tyneside suburban network, these were articulated two car sets but I have seen one photo showing a monochrome livery and another (in 1948) showing an a two tone livery. From black and white photos I think the two tone livery may have been red and cream, this may have been early BR.

In the early 1950s BR built some 2EPB units for this network, these ended up on Southern Region after BR de-electrified the Tyneside system in 1967. The only photo I have found of the 2EPB units shows a single colour with a lion on a unicycle logo, so they may have been either maroon or green.

If anyone happens to know anything about the liveries on these units I would be most grateful if they could post it.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Tyne & Wear Metro EMU 4027 is painted in a reproduction of this livery, which can be seen here:

HTH,

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Thanks for that. This network seems to have been largely ignored by model makers, I have seen some stuff on the 1500vDC overhead side, and the Harton collier system, but I do not recal ever seeing an article on this lot

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What you want is Part 10B of the Good Book.

"Livery was red below the waist line and cream above until the 1920 replacement stock appeared when the standard NER coaching stock colour of crimson lake was applied."

15 trailer thirds, 2 Luggage Motor Double cabs Composites, 5 Luggage Motor Single cab Composites, 5 Motor Single cab Thirds, 7 Motor Double cab Thirds and a Motor Parcels Van.

"Under the LNER, the crimson lake livery gave way to a drab teak colour."

Both the new and the refurbished stock got red and cream livery in

1938. From 1941, this changed to Marlborough blue and Quaker grey. Under BR, they were painted green from 1949.

Presumably the same green as the repainted NER/LNER units.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

ISTR that one of the layouts exhibited at Warley was based on the Tyneside Electrification. Unfortunately my nephew kept the programme as a souvenir so I cannot look up the name. Seem to recall that some of the stock on this layout had a blue and cream livery which from some other source I have long forgotten was used in the LNER era on part of the system

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

One of the series on NE stock - In storage I do have the one on goods stock - excellent work (although if you look closely at the trestle wagon pic you can see that it had both sides still attached, possibly with a bit missing in the centre of the non-working side, not as described with no side left)

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply! I tried google, teoma and several other search engines but only found the same three sites, one of which has some rather small but handy pictures.

I may consider buying the book, I like lines with character.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Gentlemen are you happy with these entries in the credits?

Tim Illingowrth (no website) Tim, another regular on the uk.rec.models.rail newsgroup, was able to supply considerable detail on the Tyneside electric suburban services.

Rich Mackin Railway Scene - A website covering the current railway scene with photographs, news and discussion forums Rich, yet another regular on the uk.rec.models.rail newsgroup, was able to offer a lot of help on early EMU liveries.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In message , Tim Illingworth writes

Weren't these built at the same works that built the SR units? So wouldn't they have been painted in the same shade of green as the SR units?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Ok with me Mike. :)

Reply to
Rich Mackin

There was an MLV as well.

Regards,

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Smith

Good bet - fits with Tims info as well

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The Good Book in question is the RCTS "Locomotives of the LNER", otherwise known as the Green Bible. :-)

Apparently anything self-propelled is a locomotive, or at least worth documenting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Looks good to me. Most of my website is at

but there's no rail stuff there at the moment. One Of These Days I will get round to scanning my early 1970s BR photos and putting them up...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

In message , Tim Illingworth writes

I thought anything to do with railways was worth documenting, as you never know who (even yourself) may want the information at some time in the future.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The book 'Tyneside Electrics' by Ken Hoole gives some clues about the liveries throughout the period of electrification. regards, Steve

Reply to
titans

No problem, I'll put in a link anyway.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Oops, though you were referring to North Eastern Record.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks I will add that reference to the entry

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Of which I own Part 5 (Tender Engines - Classes J1 To J37), which I bought with the hope of finding some good photos of Stockton shedded J21s between 1923 and 1931. Virtually all of the photos of the class in question in the book are of Darlington engines. >:-(

What I really need is the relevent Yeadon's, but I'm reliably informed it won't be out before March. This is a problem, because I need the locomotive finished before February 2006. My current backup plan is to build it as a saturated example and just leave the number off until I get the right information.

Annoyingly, if I'd stuck to my original plan of buying an NER Class Z kit, the Yeadon's is already out.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Stockton J21s at grouping: 30, 147, 148, 209, 312, 520, 979, 1073,

1511, 1547, 1573, 1574, 1589.

Superheated engines: 147, 209, 979, 1073, 1574 and 312 from 4/25

Allocations from LNER Allocations: The First Day and superheating from RCTS Part 5.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth