OOps, query re BR push pull livery

Does anyone happen to know what colour the cab end of LMS and BR push-pull or auto-coaches was?

Sorry this got sent as a follow up - Sleep before newsgrouping methinks!

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike

wrote

I've no recollection of reading that they were any different to normal coaches so assume they'd be black.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Almost on topic- I've found some photos of Swansea (Upper Bank) 'Jinties' fitted with push-pull equipment in 'British Railways-Past and Present- No 37 South Wales Part 3'. Page 82, 104 and 106 all have shots of this small group of locos. Sadly, the coach-end colours can't be distinguished in any of the shots. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Thanks, I am having the same problem with the colours, difficult to tell if the colour difference is shadow or black paint.

What I have so far . . .

In context . . .

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

All of my photos show the driving and driven ends to be maroon like the sides.

Reply to
peter abraham

Thanks for that - Interesting - This is getting difficult, I've got people saying definately black, a lot of 'dont knows' and a couple of definately maroon. Could be things changed - In the early BR maroon period there was no lining on the coaches, by the mid 1960s there was a double waist line and no visible numbers on the sides. The yellow waist lines do not extend across the ends so they may have started off all maroon then changed to black later. I understand the LMS had all maroon ends on theirs.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Southern had green ends on push-pulls, as on EMUs.

Reply to
MartinS

wrote

Done a bit more research. The coach ends of some LMS era push-pul coaches certainly appear to be unlined maroon (or crimson) see Plate 160 (page 145) of *LMS Coaches - An Illustrated History* by Jenkinson & Essery, whilst the picture on page 144 of the same book is inconclusive and *might* even be black.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks - I asked on uk.railway and as I understand it . . .

Gwr - Chocolate and cream with chocolate ends LMS - All over maroon LNER - Teak sides and ends SR - Green sides and ends BR - Crimson and cream does not seem to have made it, plain maroon with maroon ends, lined maroon with black ends.

I havent made much progress with the pre grouping stuff yet

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike