Bachmann's Super-D G2

Will this be the first ever RTR LNW prototype or has there been one before?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Didn't Bassett Lowke do an O gauge Claughton?

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

I was thinking more in terms of mass produced 00.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in

There have been plenty of kits of LNWR prototypes, but I can't for the life of me think of a 4mm RTR model, although I wouldn't say categorically that some outfit like Romford or Hamblings didn't do one in the dim distant past.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In O gauge by Bing for Bassett Lowke in the 1920s, a Precursor 4-4-2T and a George V 4-4-0.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Not a loco, but I saw a 00 RTR wagon lettered LNWR on sale yesterday.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

A real scale model of an LNWR wagon or a repaint of a BR or generic wagon? ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No idea. If Hornby's mass-produced van was (allegedly) based on something as obscure as a Hull & Barnsley prototype, who knows what this might have been!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

It was indeed - at least *above* the solebars. Below it was based on someone's imagination.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not suprising really as RTR nearly always insists on a BR version - preferaby late emblem. After the Midland had decimated most LNWR engines and Stanier had replaced a few with more up to date stuff, there was only IIRC the G2 and Prince of Wales that might qualify.

We need to educate the collectors about those wonderful outlines and liveries before BR !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , simon writes

What about the Webb Coal Tank? No.58926 worked the last train on the Abergavenny to Merthyr line with Super D No.49121.

See

Jane Sullivan

"simon" wrote

Hmmm, as LNWR livery was virtually identical to BR mixed traffic black, I'm not sure there's a lot of education needed.

The reality is, however, that most modellers try to recreate what they saw in their youth - in my case the British Railways steam/diesel transition era. There are few if any modellers who would today remember the pre-grouping era, and those who remember the period between grouping and nationalisation are also in a significant minority. We actually sell more diesel loco models than steam these days.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

true, plus a few 18" goods. but was thinking more than the odd one or two reaching the late 50's with reasonable geographic spread. unfortunately that puts the POW in a worse position ! IDNRC !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I hacked some around to go with a scratch-built Class B (J23 - best of all I didn't have to spend any money on a casting for a dome).

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Was thinking about all pre-br liveries, not just LNWR. Also the outlines of the locos - esp with huge domes, chimneys and ramsbottom safety valves.

I was brung up about the same time, but the earliest engines I remember are from commuting on WCML with 86's and 87's - no way am going to model them boxes.

Visited local 2nd hand shop today, almost 80% of his stock at the moment is D&E, they must be a callous lot !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

If you checked my secondhand stock, 80% of it would be BR(WR) steam, but I wouldn't say it was typical - just reflects what I've bought in recently.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'd be selling it too and buying stuff for a decent railway ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Martin

It is going to be really interesting to see how this RTR LNW loco sells. Personally, I find the LNW locos to be the most ugly, uninteresting, unstyled locos ever to have graced the UK's shores, although I accept that others would not agree. The G2 has featured in recent polls and that is why Bachmann are making it, but LNW locos have generally never featured beyong single digit numbers in polls, perhaps an indication that there isn't a great interest in them, which in turns indicates why manufacturers have not made them. Sales of Bachmann's model will tell.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

Your right, some do disagree. The reasons you quote are some of the attractions. Some railway companies built locos that looked smart and tidy, but had all sorts of design defects, such as poor steaming, hot axle boxes, poor brakes etc. I wonder what an unbiased railwayman would have preferred, one that worked well & one that did not? Most locos of the pre group companies were considered well by their "home" companies & usually detested by others.

Locos such as the LMS 4F, a pretty poor tool with all the design faults previously mentioned have sold reasonably well for Airfix, Dapol & now Hornby.

Sales of Bachmann's model will tell.

I don't believe Bachmann will be disappointed, as they seem to be quite keen on producing the top model each year from their surveys. If these surveys were disastrous they would have given up years ago. Who would have thought the Austerity 2-8-0 would ever become an R-T-R model?

But if something has "never" been available, how does anyone know for sure. Besides, how many more post 1923 4-6-0's & Pacifics can the market bear? Especially when most of them are various shades of green ;-)

Another good choice as previously suggested here is the LNWR Coal Tank, which partly kept its long life due to the failure, until post war, for the LMS to successfully design a modern lighter duty loco for its push-pull duties for which the Coal Tanks were well suited.

Reply to
Kevin Martin

wrote

Probably rather better in the long term than the plethora of Southern locos released by Hornby.

Don't forget that one of these locos is preserved and currently in working order. That will undoubtedly

a) assist its development and b) help boost its sales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner