L&Y and Horwich question...

Was the L&Y based in Horwich in the same way as the LNW was based in Crewe or was its headquarters somewhere much bigger like Manchester?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Certainly all the engineering was done there. However IIRC "Control" was in Manchester, these folks are the experts though ...

Chris Wilson

Thanks Chris. That's actually the first place I looked which is why I asked again here :o)

I'm old enough to have visited Bolton when it was still an important railway town and was staggered to learn that Horwich was such a short distance away. In terms of architecture, the LNW didn't hold a candle to the L&Y which is why the latter's stations make a more interesting modelling subject.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Kim,

you are thinking of Hunts Bank the L&YR offices across the road from Manchester Victoria station. They have been demolished.

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

"kim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Take a look at the structures of the ELR, not the new one, the old one that was taken over by the L&Y. They had a very distinctive chalet style where the roof was continued over the platform to form a shelter.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I always intended to do build a model of Blackrod, the station on the Bolton-Preston line which was the junction station for the Horwich branch. I grew up in Blackrod, so it has a special interest. The model is still waiting for a suitable space to build it in, but I've been collecting photos and information, some of which I have on the following site :

There are some photos of Horwich Station and Works.

AdrianB

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:45d99c0e.0@entanet:

That's a great site, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

HQ was, IIRC, Manchester. Original works were at Miles Platting, Horwich came (much) later.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen