Bachmann's new locomotive this yearis to be the Class 9F

This was from Pat Hammonds site Model railway Express the news is it is to be a 9F

Bachmann's three new locomotives this year are to be the Class 108 Heritage DMU, a Fairburn 2-6-4 tank and a Class 9F. The news broke at the Toyfair in London today when the new Bachmann catalogue was released. The company's MD, Graham Hubbard, also confirmed that they are giving rolling stock a rest this year while they catch up with the current programme. This is a new commitment by Bachmann to avoid announcing models which cannot be released in the current year.

Three versions of the 9F are planned for release in the Autumn, all in pristine condition. These are '92192' with late decals and a BR1F tender, '92116' with early decals and a BR1C tender and '92220 Evening Star' with the BR1G tender. Questioned about the problem of hiding the mechanism with so much daylight under the boiler, Bachmann's head of development, Merl Evans, showed me the drawings for the model which indicated how the chassis is to be built in two layers with daylight between and the gear train concealed behind the bracket supporting the valve gear.

The Class 9F was third in the BR Standard Steam section in last year's MREmag poll while third in the LMS section was the Fairburn tank. The latter will also be available in three pristine versions this year. These will be '2691' in LMS livery, '42096' in BR lined black with early decals and '42073 ' in BR lined black with late decals. These will have build variations and heavy internal weights to ensure good pulling power.

The Class 108 DMU includes two cars (DMBS and DMCL) and, again, three pristine versions will be released this year. These will be BR green with whiskers, BR blue/grey and one in NSE livery. The numbers on these are not yet available. They will have differing cab and roof styles, full underfloor equipment, detailed interiors and directional lighting.

Amongst models on display were six versions of the new Class 66. These were '66405' Malcolm Logistics Services blue, '66612 Forth Raider' in Freightliner green, '66200 Railway Heritage Committee' in EWS red and yellow, '66135' also in EWS red and yellow, '66610' in Freightliner green and '66701' in GBRf blue.

Amongst the new liveries on existing models in the Bachmann range are the

0-4-0 saddle tank (Percy) in GWR lined greed as '311'; four new Class 20s - '20023' Raifreight red stripe with discs, '20132' Raifreight red stripe with code boxes, '20052' weathered BR blue with discs, 'D8307' weathered BR blue with code boxes; 3 pristine Class 08s - '08683' EWS, '08375' BR blue and 'D3032' BR green; 3 pristine Class 57XX Pannier tanks - '5786' GWR, '7739' BR black with early decals and '5757' BR black with late decals; Jinty '47506' in BR plain black with late decals and '47279' with early decals (also on display was '47253' in BR red with late decals); Class 40 'D210 Empress of Britain' in BR green and '40169' in BR blue; Class 170/4 in ScotRail First Group livery; Class 55 '55013 The Black Watch' in BR blue; 3 Ivatt Class 4s - '43047' with late decals, '43160' with early decals and '3001' in LMS black; 3 Class 57s - '57301 Scot Tracy' in Virgin livery, '57602 Restormel Castle' in First Great Western green and '57008 Freightliner Explorer' in Freightliner livery; '30850 Lord Nelson' in BR green with early decals; 3 Class 158s - ScotRail First Group livery, Metro WYPTE livery and Transpennine First Group livery; Class 04 'D2254' in weathered BR blue and '11217' weathered BR black with early decals.

While there may be no new rolling stock tooling this year, there will be plenty of new liveries on wagons and new batches of renumbered coaches.

All the best Steve

Reply to
The Parkys

"The Parkys"

A what?

Oh, a "Derby Lightweight". Now I know what you're talking about. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Not quite. A later 'BR Standard '1958 Derby Lightweight as opposed to the

1955 original 799xx 'greenhouse on wheels'.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'm quite excited about the Fairburn! I wonder if they will make it so that it can be backdated into a Stanier?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Fairburn is the backdated version of the BR standard, Staniers have the longer wheelbase and hence need a new chassis. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I would rather Hornby updated the Fowler 2-6-4t to turn it into a Stanier. As far as I can tell Bachmann have never produced a Stanier design other than the ones they inherited from Mainline?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Lined greed. Hmmmmm, does that mean it will be too expensive for the "young family" market, then? :-)

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Is that the First Transpennine livery where they take the Arriva Transpennine livery and put a sticker along the length of the train saying First Tanspennine?

peter

Reply to
Peter Everett

That's the only version I can think of !

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

On 28/01/2005 00:33, The Parkys wrote,

NO!!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Are the manufacturers watching my work-in-progress shelf, or what? I've been building a Western chassis from scratch courtesy of Exactoscale and Ultrascale, then Heljan came along. I have an LRM Jinty kit ready to go, then Bachmann came along. I splashed out and bought a Malcolm Mitchell 45XX kit, and Bachmann have beaten me to it again. I bought a Lima 37 chassis to go with the A1 models "stretched" Deltic kit, and guess who, again? I thought I'd use that same chassis to upgrade the Lima 50, but no, Hornby made that need disappear! Gradually getting nearer the top of the pile is a 9F. Is nothing sacred? Is there any point in building things any more?

Seriously, I am happy that the likes of Hornby, Bachmann and Heljan are producing excellent quality RTR, but it does make a kit/scratch builder's life frustrating!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The message from Paul Boyd contains these words:

Please start making an M7 ....... :-)

Reply to
Colin Reeves

Quick, get to work on a OO Class 73 ;-)

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Hi Paul don't start a T9 as that was looked at a couple of years ago buy Hornby and put on the shelf!!! But you could start a Rebuilt West Country or Rebuilt Battle of Britain if you like :o))) All the best Steve

Reply to
The Parkys

Can you please start work on an M7, a T9, maybe some Maunsell coaches - how about an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 ?

Reply to
John Ruddy

Hi Paul,

If you have time after attending to everyone else's requests, please could you have a go at a class 14 and 17? Thanks! ;o)

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

On 29/01/2005 21:41, John Lancaster wrote,

Everyone else has missed out, but I have nearly finished a Class 14, complete with jackshaft drive (it is the only axle that doesn't move about!) You may be in luck!

This is from the A1 Models kit, and it's bl**dy awful! If I was to build another, I wouldn't attempt to build it origami fashion as designed, but to separate out the individual panels. I quite fancy finishing it in Western Region maroon...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

See also Nigel Burkin's page. He's given up for the time being for the same reason.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Assume that this is not N Gauge.

Any idea of forthcoming N Gauge releases?

joe

Reply to
Joe

Pat Hammond's MRE mag at

covers Graham Farish today.

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

"The Parkys" wrote

I thought they'd been giving rolling stock a rest for the past few years. I've now got somewhere near as many diesel locos as I'll ever need to run my

1975-85 period layout, but know I'll spend some serious dosh when appropriate rolling stock is produced for them to pull.

John.

Reply to
John Turner